PDA

View Full Version : X-Serve

Greentree_uk
03-23-2003, 08:02 AM
I had the fortune recently to install a brand spanking new X-Serve. 1.33Ghz DP beast. well, I stumbled across an oddity. I had to transfer data from an old B&W to the x-serve and the easiest way to do it (since it was alot of data and many small files) was to boot the Xserve into target disk mode and copy files that way. the B&W would not boot T mode, anyway having successfully copied the files. I shutdown the server and reboot. well you would expect the machine to boot as normal as any other mac would. however it couldn't find the OS. so after a couple reboots I thought.. well I'll boot off the CD and reselect the startup disk. could I do that? no! it wanted to reinstall the OS and as it was the latest OS 10.2.4 I couldn't simply update. the worst part of it was it wanted to erase the entire HD to do it! now I guess I could have used the terminal to select the starup HD??. if I knew unix commands! so if my HD goes down then I have to lose all my files on that drive? who thought that was a great idea?!! so, what i did was to install an additional drive and install the OS on that. going right through all the config's again! until I could then get into system prefs and reselect the original HD!! so who's hair brained idea was it then? I wouldn't mind if apple said they prefer all data to be stored on seperate drive. fair enough but then why give you a 60gb drive for an OS! I just thought I'd share my experience with you all. I guess now someone will come out with those few lines of Unix....

unclemac
03-24-2003, 12:54 PM
Ouch.

I expect a Jag guru will be along to give us some details, but this is not right. Can't believe it is supposed do what you experienced....

So, do you mean that your new Xserve came with 10.2.4 Server on a CD?

Also, just to be clear, you are aware of the "Archive and Install" option, right? Was this option not available, or could the installer on the CD not detect your HD/OS at all?

BTW, other than this mess, what do you think of your Xserve? Did it come with earplugs? http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/tongue.gif