PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using PenguinPPC Server's???

billbo
01-27-2003, 03:59 PM
just so kaye doesn't get "off (-ed) with their heads!!!"
Anybody using Linux on New/Old-World Macs, as servers, whether it be- DNS, DHCP, Storage/File, Samba, Hardware Router, NAT, Mail, yadda, yadda, yadda....

------------------
Bill

"I made a conscience decision in a semi-conscious state"

maxguy72
01-27-2003, 08:38 PM
I'm in the process oftrying to install Yellow Dog Linux on my mongrel 9600/B&W G3. But I think I've hit a major snag in that my motherboard may be terminal (as in dead, or dying). I have some basic working knowledge/usage with AIX and FreeBSD and have always wanted to give Linux a try. I tried Mandrake for a little bit on my gaming PC but had a few hardware issues that made it near impossible to use. Have you ever tried less than 640x480 resolution on a 19" monitor? I can tell you it isn't pleasant. I'm running a small web/email server out of my house for a friends company and figured Linux would be the perfect web server solution. But, unfortunately my "Server" has decide it didn't want to play anymore. So until that gets fixed I get to just sit and read about using Linux instead of actually using it. But I like what I see about it so far. J