PDA

View Full Version : driver for HP tape drive?

stewartnc
11-02-2001, 07:39 PM
hi, hope some-one can help me find a driver to run a HP SureStore 5000 tape drive. HP's web site shows no mac driver. on system profiler it shows up as follows:
SCSI Bus 0 ID=2 Removeable media
Driver version: not available
Mac OS partitions: 0
Removable media: yes
Vendor: HP ( for Apple )
Revision number: T503
Product ID: HP35480A
Serial number:

i have only been able to get this to work with a demo program i downloaded. it seems to find the drive, load the driver, and run it ok, but since its a demo it limits the OS partition it will format on the tape to 40mb (sucks ). i have several older back-up programs and hate to have to buy another one! the demo is DeskTape Pro. any ideas would be great!

thanks again,
stewart

[This message has been edited by stewartnc (edited 02 November 2001).]

[This message has been edited by stewartnc (edited 02 November 2001).]

MacMikester
11-08-2001, 12:12 AM
Your model is listed as a supported drive for Retrospect v4.3. This is the rock of backup programs.

kaye
11-08-2001, 11:47 AM
I have a Workgroup Server 9150/120 that has an HP tape drive, internal DDS-2 DAT drive (4GB uncompressed, 10 to 14GB compressed). No driver for it nor needed. Recognized by Retrospect as MM says. k

stewartnc
11-14-2001, 02:20 PM
OK, Thanks for letting me know what I need. I guess I'll just break down and buy Retrospect and stop being so cheap! Probably spent more in man hours messing than the program will cost!
Thanks Again,
Stewart

DJ TEMPO
06-09-2002, 09:52 PM
Hi.

I've posted about my 9150 on here before. The SCSI-3 is working great (FINALLY!!!). Now I'm addressing this extra little slot on the front of the machine.

After reading the other posts in this topic, I'm lead to believe that the drive can only be addressed through a program such as Retrospect.

You can't just pop in a tape, the Mac automatically sets up a format, shows the icon for the tape like a drive, and you drag and drop files onto it? Seems this would be a simplistic way of doing it. Any idea if this can be done?

Chip

DJ TEMPO
06-09-2002, 10:22 PM
OK, I've got Retrospect Express 4.1A loaded. It doesn't recognize the DAT drive. Is this a limitation of "Express"? Is there a version of RE that will recognize this HP C1533A ?

Chip

kaye
06-10-2002, 10:27 AM
Chip,

This is what Dantz sez http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=compatibility_list_detail&id=258

I will have to see if I have the same DAT in my 9150/120. Have you loaded the proper tape cartridge in the drive? I can't remember whether a tape must be in the drive for Retrospect to recognize the drive but I would guess so. I think a call/email to Dantz would answer your question about whether the Express version should recognize it. k

[This message has been edited by kaye (edited 10 June 2002).]

DJ TEMPO
06-10-2002, 10:51 AM
Dantz appears to be doing the usual "can't talk to us unless you pay" thing.

There's a tape in the drive. It's just a standard DAT. Dantz's listings show that any version of Retrospect 2.0 or later will recognize it. I've got Retrospect Express 4.1A, which may be limited in what it will recognize as it's an "express" version. "Lite"?

I guess I'm searching for Retrospect 2.0 or later now...

Chip

ChrisYip
06-10-2002, 03:33 PM
Retrospect should see it even if there isn't a tape in the drive. I have both DAT and VXA tapes on my Retrospect system (5.0) and they work fine.

As for the drag and drop - nope - I think I read somewhere on Dantz's site about that same stuff re: can tapes be mounted on desktops and the answer was basically no.

My experience is that Retrospect is supposed to see it, it will, unless there's some sort of firmware upgrade or something that you need. For example - my students couldn't see our FireWire VXA drive until they installed the correct driver for the FireWire interface card.

Did you check Dantz's FAQ page re: this 'not visible' thing?. If I recall correctly, even though ASP found the device, Dantz didn't and it turned out that I needed to upgrade the device...

Chris

EGPoulin
06-10-2002, 05:12 PM
Retrospect Express prior to 5.0 will not work with tape drives. Only removeables, CD-R/RW and hard drives.

The 5.0 of express (included on the norton system works 2.0 cd) increases the drives supported to include DVD drives.

To use tape drives, get yor hands on a full Retrospect 4.3 (with the advanced driver kit if you need it, check their web site) or 5.0 Workgroup or better.

5.0 workgroup starts at $139 though even if you only want to use a small Taravan-4 drive (4GB compressed!)

I'm currently running 5.0 workgroup and a DDS-4 drive here at work.

I don't think that windows supports drag and drop to a tape either.. that would take forever to retrieve anything once you dropped it on there.

[This message has been edited by EGPoulin (edited 10 June 2002).]