PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading to 9.1

blinddog
03-20-2002, 12:35 PM
I'm trying to upgrade my 8600 to 9.1 so I can stick a USB card into it, problem is my computer doesn't seem to want me to! Firstly I can't get a copy of anything other than OSX from a retailer, a couple of friends have lent me a copy of OS9.1 but one was for G4's only and wouldn't have any of it and the other tells me it won't install over my existing system because it's not "International English" (I'm in the UK) help me please... any one... I'm losing the will to live.....

ricks
03-20-2002, 12:51 PM
You can still call Apple and order the correct CD. Or, you can just download the upgrader from Apple Software Updates and run the installer. I hope this saves you. (if you actually do lose the will to live do you turn into a windoz users? yech)

Rick

angela
03-20-2002, 01:28 PM
I agree with Ricks that you need to try to get a hold of OS 9.0 and use the 9.1 upgrade. I found this link for a used Mac dealer in the UK http://www.lowendmac.com/dealers/elsewhere.shtml Contact them, perhaps they have a copy or can point you in the right direction. Are you aware of any users group in the UK? Apple can suggest some sources, but just in case you dont feel like calling them here are some links to users groups in the UK http://www.hersheyapplecore.com/muglist/mug.html#United%20Kingdom
Hope this helps. I can understand your frustration. Just hang in there. Best wishes.

blinddog
03-21-2002, 06:18 AM
Well thanks for the tips, the lowendmac website was spot on, but as for apple, well I rang them to see if I could get a 9.0 disk on Tuesday, and was told "This sales department ONLY deals with new items" well I wasn't overly impressed but luckily for apple I detest Mr Gates and his cronies so am not about to switch allegiance. Any how a friend suggested I start up from the CD and simply trash my old system so the installer didn't have anything to moan about,and success, mission accomplished.

Cheers for your help,

Neal

billbo
03-21-2002, 01:17 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>blindog wrote: I detest Mr Gates and his cronies so am not about to switch allegiance.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

While I'm glad you got your problem corrected so quickly! At the risk of sounding like a Wee(P)C lover, I must say that Gates saved Apple back in 1998 from the gruby clutches of Compaq. He sent Apple a check (which I assume went directly to Jobs) for $100Million to thwart Compaq. Now, at the time, Compaq wanted to flex some fiscal biceps, so they chose to buyout Digital (DEC, or Digital Equipment Co.) the makers of the Alpha chip.

I happen to own 2 pre-Compaq Alpha boxes (unfortuantly the one that arrived with drives and such is a "NT propriety box) and once I get Linux installed, from the performance of the AlphaNT I've been using, I must say that I am SO GLAD Compaq DID NOT acquire Apple, and partially thanks to one Mr. Bill Gates.

Just a little after thought afterwards http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Seriously though, glad you got hooked up with 9.1!!!

------------------
Bill

"I made a conscience decision in a semi-conscious state"

ndp
04-08-2002, 06:07 PM
This is BS.

Compaq was *never* even thinking about buying Apple. There have been merger talks in the past with Sun. Compaq buying Apple is about the most rediculous thing I've ever heard. Compaq bought DEC for one thing and one thing only: their field-services organization. Notice how every other component of the organization formerly known as DEC has been completely gutted?

And the money given to Apple by Microsoft was for two reasons:
1. A public investment, Microsoft bought a gob of non-controlling Apple stock. It's all long since been sold after they doubled their money.
2. A private settlement of a lawsuit. Apple was suing Microsoft for the misappropriation of some code in Quicktime for Windows Media Player. The lawsuit had been going on for years, and though the evidence was strong against Microsoft, their lawyers were dragging it out as long as possible with delays and appeals, trying to simply out-last Apple. Microsoft finally gave in and settled for an undisclosed amount. The rumor mill at the time said it was around $600 Million, but the actual figure was never made public.

The only way Gates saved Apple in 1998 was by making a public commitment to continue developing MS Office for Macintosh. At the time, Office for Mac was a big pile of dinosaur feces. And MS had not committed to do another release, which caused many people - locked-in by Microsoft's closed file formats, to stop considering the Mac as a viable platform. (no, Microsoft doesn't have a monopoly at all, does it?). When Microsoft announced that they were developing Office 98, (and the stock investment), Apple's stock price shot up, making the stock purchase a good investment for them indeed.

Apple's success in the broader segment of the computer market is not so much tied to faster CPU's, better OSes, or fancy enclosures. It's tied to the existance of Office for Mac. Apple will probably always have it's niche with video and graphics professionals, but the vast majority of other users need to be able to communicate with the rest of the world, and that means (sadly) being able to read MS Word files.

mactheripper
04-10-2002, 01:44 AM
simmer down, kidz. No need to get personal.

Everybody breathe in and out and say, "Quicksilver" slowly.