PDA

View Full Version : 1400 Clean Install Saga continues

George Nicholas
03-24-2002, 06:58 PM
This is now driving me truly and deeply nuts. Last week I had a major system crash on my powerbook 1400cs (117, 64ram, OS 8.6). I had eudora, and internet explorer, and MS word open at the same time; after the crash, none of them would open. So I decided to do a clean install of OS 8.6 and the applications.

I don't have a cd-drive with my powerbook, so the first challenge was doing the clean install over appletalk. That was bad enough, but each time I've done the install, there are critical resources missing from the extensions. I originally loaded 8.5, and then the 8.6 upgrade. Today I tried again by dragging the complete system and all control panels and extensions over appletalk (from a Mac in which everything in 8.6 was working). Again, there is stuff missing. For example, I don't have OpenTptRemote Access or DriverServicesLib, just for starters. This is getting really frustrating after a week of monkeying around with this.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions on how to do a clean and complete OS 8.6 reinstall on the powerbook without a cd-drive.

On a related note, my hard drive is HFS; is there any way to change it to HFS+? --again, without the option of simply running off of a cd.

I appreciate all the input; I've been using Macs since 1985, but the problems I've had with various Macs this past week go beyond my past experience.

Thanks.

George

ChrisYip
03-24-2002, 08:49 PM
Hi...

Here's a link that may be helpful:
http://www.macopinion.com/columns/roadwarrior/99/04/30-2.html

+++Here's an excerpt+++
Using Your PowerBook in SCSI Disk Mode as a Hard Disk

The HDI-30 port's 30th pin activates SCSI Disk Mode, which lets you connect your PowerBook to another computer (desktop or another 'Book) as a hard
disk. The PowerBook internal drive will appear on the other computer's desktop as a hard disk icon, and you can transfer information between the computers
by simply dragging files. SCSI disk mode is also useful for installing software on a PowerBook that has no CD-ROM drive via a Mac that does. However, if
the other computer is PowerPC and the PowerBook is a 680X0, or vice versa, you must drag the installer onto the PowerBook hard drive and install it from
there. If you try to do this from the CD-ROM, it will install a version appropriate to the host machine's processor type.

+++++

HTH

Chris