View Full Version : System Profiler

02-05-2002, 12:17 AM
I cant get system profiler to open up anymore with OS 9. I keep getting that it wont open because of an unexpected error. Any ideas on troubleshooting? Could it be as simple as an extension conflict? Please help. Thanks.

02-05-2002, 03:25 AM
Angela, it should work fine under 9.x.x ,

Reboot, and try it straight away. If it won't run, there may be something loaded in extensions that freaks it out, or, your system resouces are florfed somehow.

Try trimming down extensions for any apps that are freeware, or obscure hacks, etc....

lasvegas can probably shed some light on this........


02-05-2002, 03:28 AM
Try trashing ASP prefs. If that doesn't do it try replacing the entire app with a fresh copy.

02-05-2002, 09:27 AM
Thanks guys!!! I will try out your suggestions. I think I am suffering from extension overload. Something weird is happening because I had to reload the CDrom software and check the box in extension manager. I have a strange suspicion that the Now utilities is conflicting with it. Too bad I dont have Conflict Catcher.

02-07-2002, 07:57 PM
I fixed the problem. System profiler conflicts with display enabler. I read this in the Read file. It said that I had to uncheck the extension in the extension manager and it worked. So now the system profiler is working again. Is version 2.44 the most current version? Just wondering...

02-08-2002, 12:15 AM
strange. Did you have to do a restart?

Almost sounds like that crazy Netware-MS OFFICE-AppleMenuClock 3 way conflict http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/eek.gif

The Cost Of Freedom
Every ounce of courage.
Every bit of energy.
Every drop of blood.

The Cost of Tyranny
Your soul.

02-08-2002, 12:38 AM
It was weird. I unchecked the box and hit the restart button and then it worked. The read me file said that the error message cant open because an error occurred usually occurs on a powerbook. Strange that this would happen on a 6100. Even stranger is that system profiler says that the start up disk was chosen but system profiler could not determine which SCSI device it is. I only have one hard drive. Not exactly sure why its this is happening. I never had any issues before. Perhaps there is some issues unknown or my computer is confused. Other than this it works smoothly. I was glad that I didnt have to check out Conflict Catcher to resolve the problem. This is the first time that I experienced apple extension incompatiblity. I thought this was only possible with third party stuff. I guess you learn something new. I will just be happy that it works again even though I was a little baffled.