PDA

View Full Version : Maintenance helpers. ie. Norton, DiskWarrior...

rwm
01-28-2002, 04:05 PM
OK - I am getting another computer and going to spend some bucks connecting them together and so on..........

One thing I have never had or used was the proper software tools for maintenance/anti-virus/running performance tests. I have been using Macs for 15+ years. http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif I just purchaced Norton this summer and the only anti-virus program I have ever used is a 5-6 year old shareware freebie.

So what should I have so I can keep my systems (and friends) running at thier best. I best invest some towards the right programs.

I have Norton 6.0 - Need DiskWarrior. What else for home use would help/benifit me?
Anyone have a good outlet for DiskWarrior? I can find it but it is expensive.

An earlier post reccommended that we Run DiskWarrior, then Norton, then Disk FirstAid, and DiskWarrior again. Does this still hold true for good maintenance.

Thanks
Randy
________
Honda CR125R (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Honda_CR125R)

ICCAFSN
01-28-2002, 10:24 PM
The use of Diskwarrior pretty much supersedes any use of Disk First Aid (think of DFA as a very stripped down Diskwarrior - in my experience DFA has never found any problem with my drives if I run Diskwarrior right before it). Personally I run a similar set of utilities to what the earlier post suggested when maintaining my drives, although I don't do the Disk First Aid step since I think it's unnecessary.

Typically I'd run Diskwarrior first to clean up the desktop files before letting Norton have a stab at it. Norton has a bit of a reputation of being able to do more harm than good in certain cases. The things that Norton Disk Doctor can fix that Diskwarrior can also fix are done much, much better by Diskwarrior so it's actually better (IMO) not to let Norton play with that aspect of your drive. I use Norton Disk Doctor (often several times in succession) to solve/find all those problems that Diskwarrior wasn't designed to fix (e.g. corrupt files, certain boot blocks errors, custom icon errors, etc.) and Norton Speed Disk to optimize my drives. The second Diskwarrior run I typically do to check and make sure that Norton Disk Doctor didn't leave some part of my drive screwed up.

As far as anti-virus programs go, I'm sure Disinfectant (that's the only 5-6 year old freebie I can think of) is quite outdated. I have an older copy of Virex that I downloaded free off of NAI's website via VersionTracker (I think it was a fluke since it looks like I downloaded a full version) that I run biannually. I keep my Autoplay settings off and don't bother with attachments and I have had very few (i.e. zero) problems. This is one of the great advantages of Macs in my opinion.

To sum up, I basically use 2 things (3 if you're interested in anti-viral software) to troubleshoot/maintain my computer. (1) Diskwarrior, (2) Norton Utils, and (3) whatever Antivirus you use. Note that Diskwarrior (like your Norton) comes on a bootable CD so you don't need a separate boot CD.

[This message has been edited by ICCAFSN (edited 28 January 2002).]

rwm
01-28-2002, 10:39 PM
Thanks, I need to get DiskWarrior.

Yes it was Disinfectant and I never put it on my new Cheetah drive last spring. I also agree with your anti-virus workings - I keep things clean and organized - not any misc. stuff comming my way - but you never know. I had 1 virus about 12 years ago from a friends 3.5" disk with a copied chess game on it. Disinfectant fixed it.

Randy
________
TZ750 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Yamaha_TZ750)

rwm
01-31-2002, 10:50 PM
Sounds like having Disk Warrior and Norton will fix most all.

How about apps to test my hard drives reads/writes - RAM, others, Etc. Which apps do some of you use on a regular basis?

Thanks, Randy
________
vaporizer store (http://vaporshop.com)

miller79
02-04-2002, 01:56 PM
Hi Guys...I will be buying Disk Warrior today..and was wondering should I also buy Plus Optimizer for my drives...Anyone have any problems with this...Is Plus better than Norton for Optimizing? I would appreciate any feedback..

Thanks,

Nick

ricks
02-04-2002, 06:08 PM
I think you get the optimizer free if you order with the CD, which is useful with it's startup folder.One thing to think about, if I remember correctly, I think it was Magician who said something like-The one problem with optimizing is that your moving to ram, erasing the disk and writing back to disk. Any power failure or crash during this process can leave you wih an unreadable drive-

I run optimizers on my scratch disks, which are kept empty for that reason. I would have no problem running an optimizer on my main file disk as I backup the entire disk every night with a sync program. Just make sure that whatever you do you don't set yourself up for a critical loss of data at the worst moment.

Rick

ICCAFSN
02-04-2002, 10:49 PM
I'm not sure if I'm remembering this correctly, but I seem to remember seeing that (at least Norton's optimizer) data is written redundantly so that in the case of a power failure at least the data is still on the disk. Someone should verify that before you start believing me though. (not that I'm deliberately trying to lie)