PDA

View Full Version : OS9.2 "Out of memory"

tm311
01-30-2002, 08:12 AM
Has anyone had trouble withthe new QS machines running 9.2? I bought one for someone working 20 miles away and he is not really a mac person. I have been ttrying to solve his problem without driving up there. He is trying to print to a HP Laserjet 1200 as well as run some scripts to upload files to an FTP site. And he gets a msg saying "Not enough memory to complete...." He has over a gig of memory and i don't hink his memory alocation is messed up. I was just wandering if there are any memory leak issues with 9.2?

TZ
01-30-2002, 11:28 AM
I wonder if there is a "!GB memory" bug. MacFixit is down but search for tips on setting disk cache higher. I'd look at Print Monitor and other small apps. I ALWAYS have to modify the preferred memory for things as simple as Control Panels (Internet, Control Strip, etc) that are set too low.

Another thing to look for are a couple 3rd party extensions that cause trouble. ATM and something else come to mind. 9.2.2 is the cleanest etc OS to date. I'd suggest your friend get a couple books (Sad Macs, etc), learn to search the web and Apple Discussions, and maybe just move to OS X which really is getting there. Even if it means using Classic.

I don't think you can turn on VM, but I would give apps much more than their defaults (web browsers 64MB, etc)

rwm
01-30-2002, 03:39 PM
What web browser do you use. I use Netscape and have it bumped to 35MB? Seems fine now.

Heres a good discussion on memory allocation.
http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/Forum8/HTML/000354.html

Randy

ICCAFSN
01-30-2002, 11:40 PM
So is the guy just getting the error message when he's trying to print or is he also seeing it when he does other stuff? As far as the printing goes, I think desktop printers have a memory allotment you can set by clicking the desktop printer icon and choosing 'get info' just as you would a regular application. It might also be that he needs newer printer drivers.