PDA

View Full Version : OS9 and NuBus PowerMac

kaye
01-17-2002, 12:53 PM
Anyone running OS9 in a 6100/7100/8100? I have someone (via email) running OS9.1 on a 6100. Everything great except the Software Update in the Control Panels folder says "can't run the sw update engine" or something like that. Is that broken in such an old machine? k

angela
01-17-2002, 08:31 PM
Kaye,

I am running OS 9 on my 6100 and software update with no problems. I know that its a problem for Verizon DSL , the software update control panel closes all applications including the Verizon software. Why this person is getting "cant run the engine" is a mystery. Perhaps, the control panel needs to be reinstalled. How is this person connecting to the net, cable, DSL, 56k? If they are using cable/DSL, there is an easy fix http://new.macfixitforums.com/php/showflat.php?Board=Forum33&Number=150995&page=0&view=collapsed You have to use a program called T-DSL to solve it--works great.

P.S. see http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/Forum9/HTML/000081.html

Hope this helps...Best wishes. http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

kaye
01-17-2002, 08:59 PM
Thanks Angela. He is running a cable modem. I'll get back to him. k

ricks
01-17-2002, 09:43 PM
Hey Kaye,
I get that on both my QS and my B&W. I have not been able to get either to run Software Update for quite a while. Until now I hadn't thought much about it. It probably happened sometime about when I went OS9.2, but I don't know.

Let me know if you figure it out, been nice having the OSX version, that works great.

angela
01-18-2002, 12:49 AM
(1) A suggestion was made to try the forced quit on the software for the cable/DSL software, then open the control panel for software update--it works.

(2) Then I read about T-DSL on macfixit. I included the step-by-step instructions. Its pretty easy to setup. When Apple designed the control panel, there were no means to use cable/DSL modems. Also, Apple claims that cable modem and DSL users have reported problems, but yet they have done nothing to suggest how to do a fix other than mentioning the fix is in OSX. I laughed since older nubus machines can't handle anything past 9.1 anyway. Thank goodness for furums for tips/tricks.

No sprechen sie german-- dont let that stop you. ftp://software.sda.t-online.de/pub/service/Mac/T-DSL_Mac_Install_2.hqx

From Macfixit:
"The best PPPoE solution I found in MacOS 9 is Remote Access and TCP/IP extensions that enables PPPoE support in Remote Access to dial in and use your DSL service like any other modem. It makes automatic dialup as soon as you use a TCP/IP program or any other Remote Access features. It was released byT-Online in Germany for their Mac customers and works perfectly well in US English MacOS 9.1. Info about DSL-Driver (in german) or direct download link. The installation is easy.

1. Run the installer. It might ask you to enter the name and password for your DSL provider. Enter the correct info or just any info it can be changed later.
2. Restart the computer.
3. Open Modem Control Panel and select connect via T-DSL modem and modem setup also T-DSL modem. Save and close.
4. In TCP/IP control panel select PPP and using PPP Server depending on your ISP provider you might need to enter a DNS number. Save and close.
5. In Remote Access create a new configuration enter your name and password to your DSL service. Save and close.

That's it. If you have done it properly you should be able to connect via the Remote Access control strip plug in or the Remote Access Status program, or launching a TCP/IP program depending on the options set
in the Remote Access Control Panel."

//Rob

Try it--its flawless...
(3) Get a hardware router and then there is no more need for the PPPoe software that comes with cable/DSL modems. All the work is done via the router automatically so that you can just use the SW update control panel. http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Best wishes.

[This message has been edited by angela (edited 18 January 2002).]

angela
01-18-2002, 01:08 AM
So that you wouldnt have to wade through all the posts--summary below.

kaye
01-18-2002, 03:43 AM
Angela and Ricks,

Thanks again for the additional info. I have a DSL PPPoe account that has worked flawlessly for a long time with your solution (3), a hardware router, XRouter Pro MIH-130A, several Macs and PeeCees all connected. One Mac, a PTP, runs OS9.1 and Software Updates works just fine. My G4-800DP runs OS9.2.2 and again Software Updates works just fine.

I linked the 6100/OS9.1 user to this forum topic along with some other Apple TILs. He has cable with several other Macs running OS9.1 and OSX and the 6100 is his first Mac that fails Software Updates with 9.1. This 6100 however is his first NuBus PowerMac and so he asked me if there was something inherent in such a Mac that it would fail to update. Before I retired my last NuBus PowerMac, I never got to OS9, OS8.6 the last. So I wondered. Now I know. I'm sure he will figure it out with what is here and his extensive knowledge of Macs and networking.

Thanks again. k

kaye
01-20-2002, 02:29 PM
I almost forgot to post the fix. He discovered that the Security Modules were not installed. Tome Viewer to the rescue. That solved the problem with Software Updates. Additionally while rooting around he discovered that the Keychain Access was not installed. Thanks all. k

angela
01-20-2002, 10:06 PM
Very interesting. Security modules? I dont have them installed and dont use the keychain feature either and yet it works. I'm stumped. Glad that he got the SW update to work afterall. What is the connection between security modules and keychain for the SW update to work? Just curious...

[This message has been edited by angela (edited 20 January 2002).]

ricks
01-20-2002, 10:12 PM
AH-HA! I also never run the security extensions, I discounted them since no-one else has access to my computer that I worried about. Shouldn't have guessed what they were for, seems they allow certain programs to run. Maybe network access?

Thanks for the tip. Can't wait to try it out.
Rick

kaye
01-21-2002, 02:20 AM
If I understood his email correctly, it was the Security Modules that got Software Updates to work. The keychain thing was a separate issue. Somehow the CD installer just didn't install it. k

angela
01-21-2002, 07:02 PM
Since I never was aware of security modules--I learned something new. I guess I will have to research them. I have never seen them on the OS 9 disk.

tachyon
01-22-2002, 01:45 AM
angela: they are not on the OS 9 cd as files.

There are 5 extensions whose names begin with
"Security..." that must be active in order for the Software update control panel to work.

ricks
01-22-2002, 02:03 AM
Hi all,
I enabled the security extensions and voila', I have update. Thanks Kaye.
Rick

kaye
01-22-2002, 12:23 PM
That's great Rick. Guess we have that issue solved. Now I have another on my own machine, G4-800DP with DVD-R. Software Updates currently keeps coming up with a CD-RW firmware update it says I need. What's with that? I'm afraid to try it. k

ricks
01-23-2002, 12:37 AM
Well Kaye,
Looking at the Apple article on the updater it definately is only for the CD/RW drive. The article says quote;
(If you get)
"This drive does not need this update."
Your computer has a different CD, CD-RW, or DVD drive model and does not need this update. The application quits without changing anything on your computer.

I guess you should let it run so you can get rid of the bloody script.

I will run the thing and see if my combo drive needs it.

Rick

kaye
01-23-2002, 12:47 AM
OK Rick I'll try it and see what happens. k