PDA

View Full Version : System 9 meltdown

franx
01-07-2002, 11:41 AM
I just upgraded my G3/300 beige DT, Rev C, to a G4/500 through Macgurus, using the XLRB ZIF MPe. Pocessor temps have been running normal (32 - 40 degrees Centigrade). Tech Tools detected no problems.

Previously on my G3/300, I had been running OS 9.2.1 with 384 megs of RAM, and all three PCI slots full: Wired4DVD card, VST firewire/USB combo card, and a Rage Orion graphics card. No problems. I upgraded to 9.2.2 just before the processor switch. No problems. I ran the upgraded machine fine for more than two weeks on OS 9.2.2 with a slight increase in crashes and some printer anomalies, but this may be related to new memory I installed.

Now for the catastrophe: Three days ago I tried to retrieve an erased file from the partition containing my system sofware. I somehow screwed up my system sofware, and since then, I've clean installed at least six times to no avail. The machine will run on 9.0.4 and 9.1, but freezes up with ATI system conflicts (ATI Resource Manager and ATI graphics accelerator) at 9.2.1 or 9.2.2.

Note: I did upgrade my Rage Orion ROM firmware, but then adjusted my driver set according. No help.

Now, even at 9.1, I keep getting system corruptions -- bad resource forks, etc. Anybody have any idea what's going on?? I'm on the brink of simply reformatting and reinstalling the whole thing.

ricks
01-07-2002, 07:40 PM
Sounds like a possible hard drive index corruption. Programs like (or especially) Disk Warrior can help repair that. If you were looking for deleted files that may be where the problem started.

You can get Disk Warrior at the Gurus@ http://www.macgurus.com/graphics/mgscsisoftware.html

If in doubt on your RAM test it. Kaye says it best on another post
" Obviously it passes the rudimentary RAM startup test but a more thorough test is in order, such as the Newer GaugePRO overnite or the xlr8 PowerControl memory test while running PowerFrax in the background overnite. They are on the Gurus ftp site. This possibility is my best guess for the problem. BTW, when running the tests, in Energy Saver CP, set all three settings to Never. Not sure about the Newer test but the xlr8 test will stall if something goes to sleep. k"

That was Kaye on another post, but follow his directions when testing your ram if your in doubt as to its quality.
The gurus ftp site@ ftp://ftp.macgurus.com/ftp/

Hope that helps
Rick

franx
01-09-2002, 11:31 AM
Fixed the problem. Dumped the system sofware, ran Norton Utilities disk repair, optimized, reinstalled OS 9.1 and stayed there.

Just FYI, I discovered -- both from the ATI website and Apple OS 9 discussion boards, that both OS 9.2.1 and OS 9.2.2 have a track record of ATI extension incompatibilities, mainly ATI graphics accelerator and ATI resource manager. The problem manifests itself in different ways. But in my case, anyway, none of ATI's fixes worked, including the January 7 software update. So as long as I keep my Rage Orion card, I'll probably be stuck at OS 9.1.

ricks
01-09-2002, 12:40 PM
Thanks for the tip. I am running ATI Radeon and 9.2.2 on my B&W, so far so good.....where's some wood to knock on anyway.

Rick