PDA

View Full Version : G4/OS9 and older macs

pixpicker
01-06-2002, 03:49 PM
I recently acquired a G4 OS9 system disc. When I tried to install it on a 6110/G3 upgraded machine I received the message "This program cannot run on your computer. See documentation etc." There was an issue with upgrade cards so I disabled the Newer card and tried again. Same thing happened. Then I tried on a Powerbook 3400c running 8.6. I get the same message. I have an external drive running 9.1 on the 6110 with no problems. There is nothing I can find in the documentation that should prevent installation. What's up with the disc?

ChrisYip
01-06-2002, 04:42 PM
It could be that that disk is system-specific so that it's looking for a specific machine to install on (i.e. whatever machine that disk shipped with). For example, I'm pretty sure that I can't install (or reinstall) OS 9 on my G4 Yikes box using the System disks that came with my PowerBook .. But my OS X disk set DID include a OS 9 system which would work on both systems.

Chris

pixpicker
01-06-2002, 06:37 PM
Thanks Chris, I was afraid of that. I didn't try it yet on my b&w g3 but I'll bet it's the same deal. It's kind of odd though because the Read Me's make no indication the disc it's machine specific (just the opposite) but that's got to be what it is. I'll have to try it on a g4 to see if that works. I can't imagine it will only work on one machine.(?)

tachyon
01-06-2002, 11:23 PM
See TIL article 25324 for a list of what CDs will boot what G4, excluding the Quicksilver model (as of last year that is, I haven't checked for several weeks)

Retail copies of OS 9 will boot up and install on to all supported computers that were available at CD pressing time. But not, for example, the Digital Audio and Quicksilver G4s.