PDA

View Full Version : OS 9.2.2 revisited

franx
01-01-2002, 10:50 AM
I just upgraded my beige DT G3/300 with the XLR8 G4/500 ZIF through Macgurus. Very happy with the speed, quality and service. I am not overclocking. But I now seem to be freezing and crashing more frequently.

Trouble is, I've added a lot of new software recently -- including switching from 9.2.1 to 9.2.2. I have removed Norton Utilities from my system (I have heard it's a frequent source of problems) and now use TechTools Pro. I've also thinned out my extensions and control panels.

Is anyone having similar problems? Could it be the system software? Where can I find out what extensions I actually need and which I can dump?

ricks
01-01-2002, 07:52 PM
Hi franx,
A couple things come to mind concerning your post. First, I have not heard a lot of negatives concerning OS9.2.2 I am running it on a B&W with no difficulty. The Beige G3 is the oldest computer supported by 9.2, not sure whether that matters and there are lots of hardware similarities to the B&W.

When you installed 9.2.2 did you do a clean install and then add in your nessesary third party extensions? If you did not do a clean install in the recent past you probably have extensions that are older or not compatable with some of the features of 9.2.

When I went to 9.2 I also downloaded the newest version of EVERY extension and program I needed. Epson printer, Canon scanner,ATTO SCSI, RealPlayer,Hard disk Toolkit,Mouseware and so on. EVERY one of them!

If you want to check and delete extensions that you end up with you can use either Extension Overload or InformINIT to tell you what they all do. These are programs you can download from VersionTracker.com or Download.com.

What hardware changes have been done to your G3? Is it possible that you have either a bad component such as RAM or that you have added an incompatable third party peripheral that is not supported by 9.2?

If you have added hardware is it possible that a SCSI chain is not properly terminated?

Another thought on RAM. You upgraded to a G4 that demands ALOT more quality from the RAM than the original G3. If you have any doubts there are ways to test the stability of your G4 and RAM combination.

Just some ideas, hope they help.
Rick

franx
01-01-2002, 08:52 PM
ricks,

thanks, excellent suggestions. no i didn't do a clean install, but that and the extension overhaul are on my list. but the prime suspect right now is my memory. I have two 128 meg Centon strips, and a third "double 64" strip from a different vendor. what do you think?

ricks
01-01-2002, 09:06 PM
I couldn't say it any better than Kaye does. Here's a quuote from another post that he answered the same question:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Gurus ftp site has two programs for checking RAM, the Newer GaugePro and xlr8 PowerControl and PowerFrax. Run either test all night. With PowerControl and PowerFrax, you want PowerFrax running in the background with PowerControl's memory test running in the foreground. Note that much of PowerControl is broken with later OS versions but the memory test works fine.

Also note that you want to set Energy Saver CP to Never for all three settings or PowerControl will stall. It is not sufficient for Energy Saver to be disabled because the settings are maintained in NVRAM and go back to default 30 minutes with a Cuda Reset or Zap PRAM.

If you find any errors, then you will have to pull RAM sticks to see which is bad because no utility will tell you which stick is failing the tests.

You can play with the tests but a full overnite test is necessary to see whether the RAM is OK or not before pulling sticks. k
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Gurus ftp site is at: ftp://ftp.macgurus.com/ftp/

The test utilities are in the Newer and XLR8 folders.

Rick