PDA

View Full Version : copying hard drive

stewartnc
12-08-2001, 07:19 AM
Hi, it's time for a new HD (slightly bigger) on my 8500. How should I go about transfering everything from my old drive to the new one. I have the new drive set up on the external bus. Can I copy and still retain all preferences, etc. or will I have to reset it all? I hope this will be painless!!
Thanks for any advice,
Stewart

chrismenke
12-08-2001, 08:16 AM
If it is OS9, drag and drop copying will result in a functionally identical drive. A few programs may require re-serialization.

If it is OSX, I too am seeking a good solution.

TZ
12-08-2001, 11:57 AM
Keep in mind that you probably need to partition any drive over 8GB to have a bootable system with the system on a volume within the first 8GB of physical space (which includes hidden partitions as well so it is possible for it to be 7GB).

Termination, ID, and go. I would have put the current drive in the external case and kept the new drive bare and on internal bus which is faster (or on Miles2). Also, after initializing, I like to run DS Test - not necessary but I like to know all is working well. I also try to fill a drive up once with files to give it a good workout etc before I commit to the drive.

While you can drag-drop I like to do a full clean install, then just delete the Preference folder and move mine over.

And if you need, I think it is perfectly safe to extract the latest extensions from 9.2.2 to use for OpenGL, OpenTransport, ATI drivers and others.

One nice technique/trick is to backup your current system folder, then the "clean" system folder for backup emergency etc., by dropping the folder on Disk Copy and keep an image file (r/w uncompressed). You can even mount and apply updates (Apple's ususally) to your clean image.

With drives this inexpensive its nice to have the extra room.

Gregory

ricks
12-08-2001, 02:06 PM
One thing to be aware of when drag and dropping the main hard drive is- Many of the paths that your programs use to save data will remain the same. For instance, Netscape saves its boookmarks,emails, etc in the preferences folder , when you drag and drop, that folder,actually its path, is still to the folder on the old disk, not the new one. That can happen with virtually any of your programs.

It can be a real problem when you leave the old disk as a safety backup while you try out the new disk and unbeknownst to you, you are still saving data to the old one, then one day you delete the old one, knowing your new drive works, and all the recent saves disappear with the old data.

You can successfully do this if you unplug the old hard drive after doing your copy, do your testing and create your new paths. Those paths that don't exist after removing the old drive can be fixed then, instead of just continuing to save to your old disk.

After doing this a number of times I find I'd rather just do a clean install and either copy pref folders or reinstall all the essentials and extensions. This way rids you of all the old unnessesary crud, worth the extra work.

Rick

stewartnc
12-08-2001, 07:58 PM
ok, made a copy of everything on my new disk, booted off it and checked a few programs, etc. and when all seemed to work shut down and went back to my original drive. Tonight i will wipe the new drive again, copy again, shut down and remove old drive, put in new one. as long as i swap before i do any work all my data should go where it needs to go on the new drive, right? also, i'm still running OS8.6 on this machine. does that change anything?

stewart

ricks
12-08-2001, 10:47 PM
Hi Stewart,
You don't have to actually remove the drive if you don't want to, just unplug it. Then, when you've determined the stability of your new drive you can plug in and wipe the data for extra drive space.

You won't be causing a specific problem because your running OS8.6, my big issue with older OS versions is software and hardware compatability. Tons of funtions as well as new versions of software just won't work with a 4 year old OS. New versions of Quicktime, Realplayer, my AppleWorks 6.2 (couldn't live without) most new release games (can't get enough Baldurs Gate 2) Netscape and many more need at least OS9.0. I found OS9.1 to be really stable, best yet on my computers. Well worth the upgrade. But, this will have no bearing on your hard drive install.

Have a low stress install.
Rick

stewartnc
12-09-2001, 08:07 AM
Rick,
It went smooth!! I now have more room to fill up! Plus as a bonus,
I installed a G3 card and more ram.(might as well do it all while the case is off). I have run most of my programs to make sure everything is still working, and all seems to be OK. I know my 8500 is kind of outdated, but it does everything I ask it to without complaint. To me that's all that matters. Now , if I just get my usb card in ****

Thanks for all the tips,
Stewart

lasvegas
12-11-2001, 05:39 AM
You do not need to partition a SCSI drive for OS X. The 8GB problem only applies to IDE drives on Macs from Rev 1 B/W and earlier.

I know it's a little late, but the easiest way to move files from a smaller to a larger drive, is to boot from a Mac OS CD and then drag the original drive to the Apple Software Restore application (hidden in the Software Update folder). This will copy the drive perfectly to the new drive retaining all aliases.

stewartnc
12-11-2001, 06:36 AM
LasVegas,
I will remember that one for the next drive swap! I knew there had to be an easy way. But my swap went ok, just had to update a few preferences, etc.
But at least all my apps. still work like they should.Thanks for the new tip!!

Stewart

ricks
12-11-2001, 12:02 PM
Gotta love it, I always find the hard way to do the easy. Again LV, you point out a built in utility that I never heard of. I have seen Software Restore but never new what it was for or where it resided on the install disk. Thanks.
Rick

kaye
12-11-2001, 04:59 PM
Me neither. Learn something new every day lv. I just assumed I needed to use those four Software Restore CDs that came with my G4. k

tachyon
12-11-2001, 11:04 PM
chrismenke:

diskcopy 6.4 fully supports OS X volume copying

dont bother looking for it on the web site though... it's "dealers only" for now.