PDA

View Full Version : Netscape - memory allocation and plugins

12-09-2001, 02:34 AM
Over the past 3 months or more I have tried every thing possible to get or make the Macromedia Shockwave or Flash player to work right.

It either says "Installation successful" or you already have it installed. Things are right. But since they don't work something is wrong http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/confused.gif very.

I got a message about not enough memory once or twice when trying to install Shockwave, but not the smaller Flash 5 program - but was unsure of what memory they were talking about. My 7500 G3 400 has 288 megs good RAM, running OS 9.1 I increased the memory allocation in Netscape "ver 4.79" to 35,000 from about 30,000 and installed the Shockwave player - no problem it installed and opened Netscape like it is supposed to - played its little song for the first time. So,it should be right. Right?

But it still leaves me brokebn links around the net saying I need another plugin. - which one?

And why won't Netscape reconize that "I have stuffit" it lists irt and shows it and its connected to the right or current Stuffit 5.5. I have reinstalled it worked on the apps in the navigator. Things down load fine and Stuffit opens everything. "after prompting me I need the application.. save it, delete it, etc."

Comments please

thanks
randy

tachyon
12-11-2001, 10:56 PM
Shockwave player and Flash player are not the same.

in Netscape's address bar (where you type your URLs when you want to visit a site) type

abouthttp://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.giflugins

or maybe it's "plug-ins" cant remember

this will give you a list of what plugins are available to Netscape.

"broken links" actually means links to other web pages that are gone, often leaving you with a "404 file not found" error generated by the server.

Cracked puzzle-piece icons means your plugins aren't installed properly. Is this what you meant?

The stuffit problem (probably related) indicates Netscape's preferences are corrupt. Have a look around Netscape's preferences window/panels to make sure the "Helper Apps" are configured properly, along with the plug-ins section.

[This message has been edited by tachyon (edited 11 December 2001).]

[This message has been edited by tachyon (edited 11 December 2001).]