PDA

View Full Version : How to backup OS w/Disk Copy

angela
10-29-2001, 02:56 PM
Hello,

How can I backup OS 8.5 using Disk Copy so that it fits on a 100mb zip disk? Which version of Disk Copy should I use? Please help.

lasvegas
10-29-2001, 04:00 PM
Don't use Disk Copy. Use DropStuff! Boot from the Mac OS CD first so that you're not using the System Folder you want to backup. Locate DropStuff in Internet:Internet Utilities:Aladdin and drag the System Folder on your hard drive onto the DropStuff icon. This will put the System Folder into an archive titled "System Folder.sit" Drag this archive file into the empty Zip disk, it should fit easily.

angela
10-29-2001, 04:38 PM
Lasvegas,

Will this make a backup copy of the whole OS 8.5 disk? I want to have a fresh copy of OS 8.5 just in case something happens to the original disk. I did this sometime ago with Disk Copy and stored the image on zip, but I deleted it to make space for something. Now I forgot how I did it.

P.S. Thanks for your response. Now I know how to back up a systems folder. I just need to know how to backup the whole OS disk for safe keeping.
[This message has been edited by angela (edited 29 October 2001).]

[This message has been edited by angela (edited 29 October 2001).]

thepickle
10-29-2001, 09:27 PM
Most likely, your System Folder won't fit in 100MB. This means you'll have to take lasvegas's advice and compress it.

This has the disadvantage of rendering the Zip unbootable, so if your system ever gets really trashed, you'll have to start from a CD-ROM, fix the problem, and then put your Zip disk in and decompress the backup.

If you want to make an image of the drive your System Folder is on, just open up Disk Copy and go to Make Image. Select your boot drive and you're all set. This will take up a lot of space (about the same size as the drive, depending on how much Disk Copy can do internal compression), but will be great for exactly duplicating the disk later since you can mount the disk image as though it were a real disk. Still won't be bootable, but a bit easier to work with.

The best solution would be to put your important files, any third-party extensions, and a couple disk repair utilities (along with a bootable minimum OS) onto a Zip disk or CD-R for emergency purposes.

p

angela
10-29-2001, 09:45 PM
Pardon me for not being clear enough. I dont want to back up my system folder. I want to take the OS 8.5 CD and create a disk image to store on a zip. Its so hard to find old OS unless you get it from an auction and Apple cant help you with purchasing old software. So I want to have a backup just in case something happens to my original OS 8.5. I dont have a CDrw to make a copy of the disk so I thought I could make a disk image that will fit on a zip disk. Maybe I should have asked how do you use Disk Copy to create a disk image of the OS 8.5 CD so that it fits on a zip disk?

lasvegas
10-29-2001, 10:36 PM
No. This would backup your installed System Folder. If the 8.5 Install CD is small enough, I imagine you could back this up to a zip¨÷ And yes, in this case, you could use Disk Copy. Here would be the procedure to create the disk image:

1) Open Disk Copy.

2) Select Preferences¨÷ from the Edit menu.

3) Turn off the Mount Afterwards checkbox.

4) Set Image Format to Read-Only Compressed.

5) Click the Save button.

6) Drag the CD into the Disk Copy window.

7) Designate where you want to save the image. I recommend saving it to your hard drive and then copy it to the Zip later.

8) Drag the newly created image to the Zip disk.

If the image doesn't fit the Zip, you will have to segment the image to smaller pieces. This can be done using Aladdin's DropSegment, available as part of the shareware StuffIt Lite package.

angela
10-29-2001, 11:43 PM
Lasvegas,

This is the craziest project I have worked on in a long time. Thanks for the instructions on creating the disk image. I realized after trial and error that space is a serious issue and that trying to fit this on a zip is impossibel. I am not sure how I did it before, but I cant do it now. I will try to the DropSegment and see how many zips will be needed. I am happy that I can create a disk image on an external disk. I think I have to adandon the idea of the zip for now. I appreciate your assistance.

P.S What does the convert image feature of Disk copy do?

lasvegas
10-30-2001, 04:19 AM
There are various formats that disk images come in. Disk Copy supports many (unfortunately not all) of them but only creates a few of them. Floppies can come in older formats of Disk Copy as well as DiskDup+ (Obsolete program), ShrinkWrap and MS-DOS formats. Hard Drive images have about a dozen formats that Disk Copy can read. Some of the formats are a pain to use because they might not contain CheckSum (test) or size information. Disk Copy will refuse to work with many of these formats because of the limitations and the dangers of damaging data.

Convert Image will attempt to convert any of these drive image formats into the Disk Copy format you've selected in Preferences (R/W, Read Only, R-O Compressed or Disk Copy 4.6). It may ask for information such as Starting Blocks or Block Sizes. I recommend trying the numbers it guesses for you. Changing them is kind of like second guessing Spock! http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Converting an image doesn't always work, but it's worth a try if you run into an image file you can't seem to access.

[This message has been edited by lasvegas (edited 30 October 2001).]

angela
10-30-2001, 12:12 PM
LasVegas,

Thanks for the info. Last night I tried all the Alladin products to see if I could work with the zip, but it was a futile attempt. I will take your suggestion to Dropstuff in segements to fit on the zips. I am sure that I will need 3 or 4 zips to store the whole OS 8.5 CD. At least with a large hard drive, I will have enough space to store the disk image using Disk Copy. Just for fun I wil see if I can just zip the installers with disk copy.

tachyon
11-19-2001, 07:52 AM
Are you still using 8.5 for any particular reason? I recommend downloading the 8.6 updater, along with USB Card Support and a suitable version of CarbonLib and put them all on some Zip disks and take your 8.5 CD-ROM with you to somewhere that will burn you a CD with two volumes; the 8.5 volume and the other updates. Make sure they make it a bootable CD. Then you'll have one CD with everything on it... for those times when you need to do a reinstall.

I've got a bootable OS 9 Zip disk, but I do admit that was a bare-bones install. If I need to try a "quick fix" I'll boot from this disk and replace individual System software files with "clean" copies. From what I'm told it's an old but little-known trick.

[This message has been edited by tachyon (edited 19 November 2001).]

angela
11-19-2001, 09:00 PM
tachyon,

Thanks for your response. I know OS 8.5 is old, but I was trying to help a friend who lost his back up zip that I made for him. I think I accidentally deleted the files or needed space--can't remember. I had made a disk image but not sure what I had done since its been so long. Now he needs the copy again to reinstall his 9.1 that requires the old files. I kinda abondoned the project since I havent heard from my friend and I dare not loan out my disk because he took 9 months to return it the last time. If I hear from him again, I will take your idea of creating a bare bones disk. Great suggestion.

tachyon
11-21-2001, 08:05 PM
Glad to have helped.

"Now he needs the copy again to reinstall his 9.1 that requires the old files."

I can see no reason why 8.5 files have anything to do with 9.1.

There are 2 ways to install 9.1:

#1 - Install 9.0.x, then run a 9.1 updater
#2 - Use the full install retail 9.1 CD (provided it's suitable for that model Mac, otherwise you must use method #1 with the "Software Install" CD that came with that Mac.)

As you can see, 8.5 CDs, images, etc. are not necessary. System 8.5 IS required if you cant get hold of a full 8.6 CD, as it must be present to install that 8.6 updater I mentioned.

[This message has been edited by tachyon (edited 21 November 2001).]

angela
11-22-2001, 12:34 AM
tachyon,

Thanks again for your help. This so called friend of mine is a mess. I dont think he has any decent OS disks afterall. He claims he needs OS 8.5 and has the OS 8.6 update which I downloaded for him. I had a flashback. He had my OS 8.5 for 9 months before returning it and then had the nerve to ask me to put it on zip. Somehow I gave him a bare bones version--then he loses it. I had a backup copy but deleted it. He did too. He must have borrowed a 9.1 disk and he said that he needed an old version of 8.6 in order to get to 9.1. The disk he used must have been the upgrade instead of a full install, but if he had 9.0 he would not have an issue. I dont know what he was doing or how much stuff he borrowed. He probably borrowed 9.0 and didnt say anything and now he updated to 9.1 using the update off the Apple site. This guy is a piece of works. He is not a real friend. Last year, I gave him a computer for a child with leukemia that I got at a Mac yard sale for $5. I cleaned it up so that all he had to do was add a few parts to it. Needless to say I never heard anymore about this child. Plus, I gave him some spare parts for a computer lab at his school. He took my kindness for weakness. I was angry. For the last 2 months, I needed he help on putting together a computer for my niece and he dumped on me. I used all the spare stuff I had on hand, but I needed a few things. He promised and promised. I had to get some generous help from here to finish up the project. The gurus came through!!! Stewartnc was truly my hero. I dont know what I would have done without him. I am looking on the brightside of things, especially since its Thanksgiving. I have got some great blessings lately and this friend, so called Maclover, has wasted my time regarding OS 8.5. He's history...

Oh well... Happy Thanksgiving!!!