PDA

View Full Version : LimeWire questions - tweaking

09-29-2001, 12:25 AM
I have been using LimeWire and would like to know if anyone has suggestions to improve anything about it. Speed - both the program and download speed. How about the auto connect and number of connections to keep minimum up/open (default = 2), How much do the upload settings affect downloading?

I have a decent DSL conection (425-475) and a 7500 w/ the XLR8 G3 400MHxz, 288 megs of RAM

Randy

chrismenke
09-29-2001, 09:36 AM
Make sure you have the most current Java Virtual Machine!

And check out Aimster...its buggy, but when it works, it works well...

[This message has been edited by chrismenke (edited 29 September 2001).]

yakkinkat
11-15-2001, 10:12 PM
What is the latest Java virtual machine? Thanks.

lasvegas
11-16-2001, 12:21 AM
Go to Apple's Software Page (http://www.apple.com/swupdates/) and look for the most recent version of MRJ (Macintosh Runtime for Java).

Remember that Limewire is not only limited by your connection to the internet, but the user's machine that your downloading the file from. You can try to improve things by selecting only the T1 or T3 connections, but note that is only indicates what that user listed as their connection. It doesn't mean they were right. Also, ignore any files from a source that has an IP address beginning with 192. These are behind a firewall and won't download.

mactheripper
11-16-2001, 03:27 AM
You can turn uploading off and disenable searches.

That means no one is accessing your machine on the network. You will be a leech, and LimeWire presents the option for me to not let you download unless you have xx files shared, so your pool of available files will shrink.

But it will mean that all of your computer's processor and disk resources are devoted to your downloads as opposed to their uploads.