PDA

View Full Version : setting memory for apps.

stewartnc
11-07-2001, 08:36 PM
Hi,
was wondering about setting memory size in applications. in I.E. it gives a recomended size , + a choice for min. and preferred. am i right in assuming that since i have plenty of memory, it will not hurt to double the recomended size? at the recomended size i get a " not enough mem. to open " sometimes as i have 3 or 4 things going at once. can you over do it in setting mem. size ?

thanks,
stewart

ChrisYip
11-07-2001, 08:55 PM
Well - you can't "overdo" it but you can run out of memory as it were by having too many applications open at once, each taking up a certain amount of RAM. Use the "About this Macintosh" to view your current memory use and how much free space you have - that will give you an idea as to what you have to play with. Basically - take the max RAM you physically have, subtract off what the system is using up (or has allocated), and that's what's left to be divided up among the various applications that you are opening.

PowerPoint is a good example of something that wants TONS of memory to open graphic images and the like. Photoshop is another - it's faster to store stuff in RAM than swapping it to the disk

Chris

TZ
11-08-2001, 09:44 AM
Just use OS X and you don't have to worry http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

It depends on how much RAM you have and what apps. There ought to be a siimple list somewhere on the net to give "best" settings, but I haven't seen it.

I can say that Word 2001 you'll read should be 48000. For me, I have my web browsers set to 40-60MB. And at times I can use 100MB+ just in IE. It *should* allocate what it needs. But it doesn't. 24-32MB is probably "do-able" for light use. It depends on what you do, what plug-ins, Flash, java, Shockwave, RealPlayer and other things like opening lots of jpeg images and pages.

Mac OS 9.2.1 uses 58MB on startup with VM off.
Mozilla uses 60MB and up.
Communicator likes to use 48MB (vm has no effect) - and runs better.

You always want to have as much FREE memory as to launch the largest program w/o quitting any you are running. Then again, OS 9 with G3/450 and SCSI launches programs almost as fast as switching, just 2-3 seconds.

I had 256MB which is what I felt was acceptable for 8.6 and because I needed 140MB just to scan an image and then edit and manipulate. I then found that OS X ran better with 512MB. I now have more. RAM is dirt cheap. $25 goes a long ways.

Gregory

stewartnc
11-08-2001, 10:11 AM
Gregory,
you are right, they should have some kind of baseline reference table that would let you see what different combinations would do. but i am doing it the old way of change a little and work it til i see how far it will go. i thought i had enough ram, (256mb) but with the prices coming down i see at least another 256mb in the near future. then too, i'm hoping santa brings me a new G4 for Xmas!!

stewart