PDA

View Full Version : installer error

armenta
10-12-2001, 03:57 PM
I recorded my mac installers using a pc and now when I try to use them in
my mac it doesn't recognize them as installers, any idea on how to fix that??

lasvegas
10-13-2001, 12:24 AM
Infortunatly, Installers (Applications) on a Mac use a two fork system. What this means is that each application has two parts. One contains the files resources (icons, windows, menus, 68K code, etc) and the other contains data (Usually the PPC code). When an Application is transferred to a PC, frequently you end up with only the data portion. Without the resource portion, you won't be able to use the application.

In the future, you might consider compressing the application with DropStuff to store it in a data only 'sit' file. This will transfer back and forth without problem and expand with StuffIt Expander.

thepickle
10-29-2001, 09:29 PM
...and make sure you download .hqx files, not .sit or .bin files, which often get mangled by PCs. .hqx files are straight 7-bit ASCII text and cannot get corrupted due to the loss of a fork.

p

lasvegas
10-30-2001, 04:06 AM
Files of all three hqx (BinHex), bin (MacBinary) and sit (StuffIt Archive) types are data only files (No resource fork). The first two are ASCII encoded and would rarely be corrupted. Most servers identify all of them as binary files though, and modern browsers rarely mangle them.