PDA

View Full Version : 9.2.1 Possible Disk Corruption

billbo
10-08-2001, 09:19 PM
This (1st quote) is originaly from Macintouch.com (I got it via the DUC) but I thought maybe you guru's would know the viability of the "solution" that follows;

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>"I have had some bad experience with Mac OS 9.2.1 and I was wondering if other readers are seeing the same problem. About a week after I upgraded from Mac OS 9.1 to 9.2.1 my blue G3 suddenly crashed in the middle of browsing the web. After a restart the system started complaining that it couldn't read the system folder. Opening the boot volume lead to a series of dozens of messages that the volume was corrupt. I rebooted with my Mac OS 9.1 CD and the corrupt volume didn't even mount. Disk First aid said it couldn't repair the drive. Norton Utilities found several major erros in the B-Tree and corrected them (at least it said so). I backed up all my data, reformatted the drive and installed Mac OS 9.1 and the 9.2.1 update. Two weeks later, exactly the same happened. I did an immediate reset and on reboot Disk First Aid repaired the drive successfully. On an Apple discussion board I hear that other people are seeing spontaneous disk corruption since they upgraded to 9.2.1. I think this is a big problem, as many people will upgrade to 9.2.1 when [installing] Mac OS X 10.1. So I wonder if Apple is aware of the problem.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is a bizarre response to the above:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I have had the same issue but traced it to a GXGraphics Extension that was freezing the system at boot. Some sort of conflict with iTunes 1.1. Forced me to reboot but the Check Disk never kicked off after this. Disk FA could not fix it. I had to use TechTool Deluxe to fix it. Have not heard anywhere else that anybody was having the same problems.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What the hell???

------------------
Bill

"I made a conscience decision in a semi-conscience state"

kaye
10-09-2001, 12:20 AM
As you have probably read on the Gurus forums, none of us find either Disk First Aid or Norton Disk Doctor to be all you need in your toolbox. DiskWarrior is also a necessity. Personally I run, in this order, DiskWarrior, Norton Disk Doctor, Disk First Aid, Norton Speed Disk, and finally DiskWarrior again, all this on a monthly basis.

This QuickDraw GXGraphics extension is not a part of OS9.2.1 on my G4-800DP. Looks like it was a part of a previous OS that just stayed in his Extensions folder when he updated to OS9.2.1. So I can see that he had problems. Conflict Catcher does list it in its links group so I'm guessing it was a recent OS, but it is nowhere in my Apple installed OS9.2.1, and believe me, they installed everything.

The beauty of running DiskWarrior first is that it fixes the things that drives Disk Doctor crazy. k

TZ
10-09-2001, 05:11 PM
On even a "minor" (though I don't think any OS upgrade is _EVER_ minor) I like to do a reformat, clean install. I also had bad luck with updates and updaters and opted instead for the full 9.1 and 9.2.1 CDs. Works like a champ.

I also go through and try to find out what everything is in system extensions, give anything that is an app/appe more memory, and gradually move over preferences and try to only install 3rd party stuff - and hope that CC8 (8.1) catches anything that doesn't belong.

I haven't seen any disk corruption using Drive Setup or SoftRAID but I have found some bugs and glitches that are being resolved. CarbonLib still seems to cause grief to some apps (Graphic Converter, Entourage, others) for some reason.

9.2.1 is the most stable I've ever seen - and fast. Maybe when SoftRAID X comes out in 2002 I'll consider using that, along with 10.2.

Gregory