PDA

View Full Version : Disk Copy app- it's purpose

gmidd
10-07-2001, 08:06 PM
Forgive my ignorance but what is the purpose and typical use of the application Disk Copy? And what are disk images ? Is it like a blueprint but not the actual files? Please advise. http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/question.gif -g

lasvegas
10-07-2001, 10:50 PM
Apple's Disk Copy's original purpose was to copy floppies. You could drag a floppy to Disk Copy's icon and it would read the data from the disk and then ask that you insert a blank disk to copy to. Since memory was low, it would make swap requests between the old and new floppy until it was done.

The program has gone through quite a few changes over the years. First, the ability to copy floppies to disk images was added. This reduced disk swaps so you could copy floppies in one pass! Then the ability to mount the images was added. Finally the support of variable sized images (Up to 2GB!) and variable formats.

Now days it's primary purpose is to act as a substitute for the missing floppy drive. Almost all upgrades are distributed in Disk Copy files. Most of the time, the Disk Copy Mounter is built in to the image making it a "Self Mounting Image" or "SMI." Still, it's Disk Copy that created the image.

gmidd
10-07-2001, 11:32 PM
Thanks lv, I'll do some experimentin' for the how-to. -g

TZ
10-08-2001, 01:34 PM
I keep Disk Copy image files of many of my CDs such as OS 9.2.1 Installer. Backup folders, system folder, financial, Microsoft User Data, etc. under X.1 you can use it to burn CDs and more.

Gregory

lasvegas
10-08-2001, 04:28 PM
You might consider downloading Apple's Disk Copy Manual (http://download.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/English-North_American/Macintosh/Utilities/Disk_Copy/Disk_Copy_Manual_6.1.2.img.bin). It contains all sorts of useful information.

[This message has been edited by lasvegas (edited 08 October 2001).]

gmidd
10-08-2001, 06:33 PM
Excellent, thanks folks for tips & link. it's funny how you can have a program on your drive for years without ever using it!-g