PDA

View Full Version : 9.2 Fascination?

gt
09-29-2001, 03:39 AM
Can anyone explain to me the seeming fascination with running OS9.2 on legacy machines? Is it just geek pride, hacker's hobbies, bragging possibilities? Or is there actually (opposed to what I've read) something to be gained?

Sonnet even warns against running it with their OSX enabling software for their PCI CPU upgrades.

Why do so many people seek to make it work?

What am I missing here? Am I that out of touch (again)?

Thanx

Greg

lasvegas
09-29-2001, 06:24 AM
There are a few improvements, but most deal with Classic mode in OS X. I wouldn't recommend a legacy machine owner upgrade unless they intend to use it within OS X. If you have 10.1 and use a separate install of OS 9 for Classic Mode, you can run the installer within OS X and ignore the hacks to get the installer to work.

tm311
09-29-2001, 07:30 AM
i installed it on my PTP only as a way to work my way up to OSX. i think it is a way to say FU you apple for leaving us in the dirt.

TZ
09-30-2001, 02:35 PM
There are some extensions that might be useful. Of course you can extract what you know you need using TombViewer w/o installing. Drive Setup 2.0.7. OpenGL, newer ATI extensions, OpenTransport. Some tweaks and bug fixes, better memory handling perhaps. More PPC and AltiVec code? Updates to FireWire and USB. (And throw IN some bugs just to have another update needed).

Gregory