PDA

View Full Version : Operating System Problem

DonW
09-26-2001, 11:58 PM
When I try and run Disk First Aid with nothing open, I get an error message saying "Test terminated, another program using disk".

My computer is also hanging up.

Any ideas what is going on?

lasvegas
09-27-2001, 01:19 AM
Any number of background applications could be using the drive, including Virtual Memory. You might want to try booting the Mac OS CD or just without extensions to run Disk First Aid on that drive.

DonW
09-27-2001, 01:35 AM
Thanks, I'll give it a try. I have also noticed that the computer will just "hang-up" for 20 to 40 seconds seemingly at random when I am working.

Don't understand that either.

lasvegas
09-27-2001, 02:27 AM
Again, this could be background applications. Depending on your network configuration, it could also be your system trying to initialize a network that doesn't exist, or trying to communicate with a server that isn't responding. IE: The server setup in the Date/Time control panel.

kaye
09-27-2001, 11:05 AM
Dang, lv, I never even noticed that was there. k

TZ
09-27-2001, 11:51 AM
I had trouble with DFA and being interrupted as you describe when NetBarrier was enabled. SwitchRes was very nasty on this issue also. Sometimes if I try to repair the startup volume and click Continue to quit all open apps (or use a utility like ProcessViewer etc to kill them) I can - but not always.

My disk drives spin down after 30 minutes and while I am online the browser's memory cache is large enough (Mozilla 0.9.4+) that there isn't any disk access - just the sound from the fan.

When in doubt, so many things - damaged or corrupt system file (use ResEdit to verify), move Preference folder out to see if that helps, but sometimes I've just reformatted and clean installs cleans up everything that Disk Warrior and every trick won't.

It use to be possible for the driver installed by Drive Setup etc to become corrupt or damaged - minor type - and still work. APS had a driver that could check the integrity of the driver partition/map. I think Disk First Aid does check the Drive Setup driver. Updating a driver is a shot in the dark though.

Gregory

DHB
09-27-2001, 12:14 PM
If you are curious what IS running in the background, you can install FinderPop, or something similar, that will display the 'faceless' processes running on your Mac. This isn't its primary purpose in life (its a contextual menu enhancer) but a feature that it offers.

In the Windoze 9x peecee world, Cntrl+Alt+Del gets you a window listing all running processes...very useful at times.

I suppose it could be a virus, rare as they are on Macs.

BTW - My son was telling me of a kid in one of his classes that discovered his 'cursor moving around the screen all by itself and opening, closing things' (on a Win 9x box). It turns out he had in the last few months gotten hooked up direct to his cable-modem and was supposedly running a software firewall but had let his anti-virus software updates lapse. He updated his anti-virus kit and it found 3000+ INFECTED files on his 'C' drive. http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/eek.gif

Are we feeling a bit more smug about our choice of computer?
I sure am. http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/cool.gif

lasvegas
09-27-2001, 07:21 PM
Your son's friend had previously used the program NetMeeting on his PeeCee and failed to disable it. The cursor moving around indicates that a hacker found him and was actually exploring his desktop remotely.

A similar program is available for the Mac called Timbuktu, but it's a bit safer by better password protections and logging of use. I have all of my clients purchase a light version of Timbuktu, called "Housecall Patient" for $29. This is a simple control panel that if they want me to fix their computer remotely, they have to open the control panel and explicitly enable it. Then I can mount their screen on my Mac and move things around or install software or whatever I want. This is so much easier than driving across town to reconfigure a MIDI port or such!