PDA

View Full Version : Stuffit

NathanTwist
09-22-2001, 10:31 PM
Ok, so ive got my recently purchased 9500 sitting in my room collecting dust, so i figured id throw some software into it. seem to be having trouble with stuffit though. wont unstuff anything. tried to update stuffit itself, but not being able to unstuff the updater poses an obvious problem http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
any suggestions?

lasvegas
09-23-2001, 12:14 AM
Re-install Stuffit Expander from your Mac OS CD. You can install the parts manually by locating them at (On the OS 9 CD):

Mac OS 9:Software Installers:Internet Access:Parts:Aladdin Software

Put the items in the Aladdin System Folder into the Extensions folder of your own System Folder. Put the Aladdin Folder anywhere on your hard drive (I use the Utilities Folder¨÷)

Since you're replacing your old Extensions, you'll likely want to restart before attempting to use your new copy of Expander.

NathanTwist
09-23-2001, 04:57 PM
hey, thanks lasvegas
thing is though, dont have the installation cd...:/
any other tips?

thanks

kaye
09-23-2001, 05:14 PM
Go here http://www.stuffit.com/expander/index.html k

tm311
09-23-2001, 06:08 PM
What happens when you try and use your current "stuffit" program? are you maybe just missingthe stuffit extention? i could email that to you?

PS. I just downloaded the Stuffit Deluxe progrm from Digital River for 19.99.....seemd like a great deal to me. It was on Deal-mac.

NathanTwist
09-23-2001, 08:26 PM
I first tried the update from versiontracker.com, no dice. they i a few days ago i tried the link available on the stuffit site, that was a no go too. the link doesnt register.
whenever i try to unstuff something by double clicking it, itll give me a "cant find the application that created this file" dialog box, and if i open stuffit and try to open a file through that, the system stops responding for a split second, then everything goes back to normal, but with no unstuffed file.
that stuffit extension sounds great.i havnet been able to see whether or not ive got it though, i havent been able to get on that machine today
thanks a lot for your help guys

Salud

tm311
09-23-2001, 10:08 PM
i ran into this same problem a few years back....and was able to solve the problem by taking one of the CD's that came with my subscription to "mac addict".....it had a copy of stuffit expander on it....have you checked the guru's FTP site? Of course that would be pointless because it would be stuffed http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

DHB
09-24-2001, 12:08 PM
Doesn't the Expander, at least, come as a .SEA (Self Expanding Archive)?

NathanTwist
09-24-2001, 01:39 PM
Nuh uh.
"Download Version 6.5 StuffIt Format (.sit) "
kooky, no?

kaye
09-24-2001, 02:55 PM
Nathan,

I just sent v6.0.1 of Stuffit Expander as a .sea file to get you started. Now I know why it is always a .sit file, 2MB. Your ISP may bounce it. But I tried. k

kaye
09-24-2001, 04:10 PM
No luck. It bounced, too big for your ISP. k

NathanTwist
09-24-2001, 08:23 PM
Hey kaye, thanks for the try, i really appreciate it. i might be able to get the stuffit extension from Mactacular though, ill use that as a crutch untill i can install a fresh copy of expander

Realy appreciate the effort guys, thanks !

NathanTwist
09-25-2001, 07:19 PM
Ok. well Mactacular isnt being too friendly at the moment, so does anyone have any idea where i might be able to pick up an older stuffit extension?

dragon_x
09-25-2001, 07:36 PM
Older versions of the Mac OS should have them... Netscape probably has them too. Check their archives page - if it is still around.

This would only be for the regular Stuffit, not the Stuffit Deluxe.

GL

------------------
One Nation, under God; with liberty and justice for all.

tm311
09-25-2001, 10:12 PM
I just emailed you a copy of Stuffit Expander 4.5....from reading all the install notes it is a stand alone application and no extension needed.

lasvegas
09-26-2001, 02:34 AM
StuffIt Expander 4.x requires the 4.0 versions of the StuffIt Engine and StuffIt Engine Powerplug (If running on PPC).

NathanTwist
09-26-2001, 09:17 AM
S'ok, found an old MacWorld cd, installed 5.5 off of that. turns out i was missing the powerplug extension.
anywho, thanks for all of your help guys, i can overload it with crappy apps i dont need now