PDA

View Full Version : Clock setting problem 8.6

levelbest
08-22-2001, 09:55 PM
Greetings,
I recently gave my old 7300 to my mom after her Windows machine crashed. She likes the Mac better but I am having a strainge problem with her set up.

Every time she starts up, the clock puts up a warning dialoge that the clock needs to be reset. And it always defaults to 1956. Not only is this annoying, but, I can't get the Mac to function automatically since the dialoge sets it's self in the start up sequence and waits for attention.

She is running 8.6 with a standard 604 card on a 7300. I gave her some of my memory until my memory order arrives. That would mean I gave her 32 megs and her Virtual memory is on.

Any help or ideas will be appreciated. PS I got 8.6 on three used drives already installed. That means I can not reinstall 8.6. I have not had this problem on my other machine's two drives so, if there is a control panel or extrension that I can pirate, please let me know.

Thanks,
LB

lasvegas
08-22-2001, 11:54 PM
Replace the battery in the 7300! You can buy it at Radio Shack for about $11. Don't bother asking the sales people. They have no idea what they have. Just look for the display of Camera Batteries and look for the 1/2AA 3.6v Lithium battery. It will be labeled for use on Apple Macintosh computers.

levelbest
08-23-2001, 01:14 AM
Ok,
I can do that. Although that was my main machine up to a couple of months ago. It never had the problem before. Seems more likely that the new (used) hard disk I have in it has something missing or messed up in the extensions folder.

Your sollution sounds doable. I guess I can put a volt meter on the battery as well. So, just in case, and you may well be totally right, is there anything else that I should try, just in case it isn't the battery?

Thanks
LB

lasvegas
08-23-2001, 04:03 AM
The battery is the only item that would cause your clock to repeaedly reset. What is happening is that when the power is down and the battery is low, the NvRAM (Nonvolitile Memory) get's scrambled, causing the computer to loose all of it's memorized settings (such as time and date).

The lithium battery Apple uses has a shelf life of about 5 years. It doesn't supply much current, just enough to keep that NvRAM up while the power's off. When it goes dead. It does so suddenly. Your 7300 is probably just over 5 years old¨÷ Isn't it?

levelbest
08-24-2001, 08:07 AM
You were right. I did it and now it is fine. Thanks. For future reference, I see that those batteries are $6 online. But, planning ahead is the trick isn't it? When you need it, you need it now. Again, thanks.

LB

lasvegas
08-24-2001, 05:21 PM
Buying in advance doesn't help though. The battery has a shelf-life of 5 years. It will go bad after 5 years even if it's never used!

magician
08-27-2001, 10:38 PM
the signature symptom is the 1956 date. When your Mac insists it's back in the 1950's, it is almost always a battery issue.

lasvegas
08-28-2001, 05:24 AM
That all depends on the Mac. Most Macs revert to January 1, 1904 (The first leapyear of the 20th century). I always found it fascinating that Apple considered and solved the Y2K issue back in 1984 before anyone even thought it might be an issue.

tachyon
09-20-2001, 09:49 PM
Some Macs do other dates- it's rumored to be someone's birthday if you see one besides 1904.

BTW, the guys at the following site are- among other things- preparing for the Y10K problem (!)
http://longnow.com/