PDA

View Full Version : Desktop hard disc icon order?

maxx
09-06-2001, 12:36 AM
Is there any way to permanently fix or establish the order in which my various drives appear on my desktop?

I have several volumes mounted - each for a particular purpose - and it's darned inconvenient to go hunting for the right one everytime I restart my machine and they reappear in a new, random order.

Running OS 9.2.1 on a dual 500 G4.

thanks,

maxx

ChrisYip
09-06-2001, 01:21 AM
Probably the simplest way is to use an Applescript.. Open the Script Editor and set it on Record. Then - go to the finder and start putting the icons where you would like them to go.. if they are already there, then move them a bit and put them back (you are trying to lock in the screen coordinates for the icons).

Click on Stop and then save the script as "Desktop Clean up" or something like that.

Test it out by moving some icons around and then running the script. Once you are satisfied it works, save it and put an alias into your StartUp folder

note - the drive icon names should be locked so they don't change - if you change them, then the script will screw up.

Also - note that the "coordinates" are dependent on your screen resolution so setting on what you normally use. Alternatively, you could put the icon at some fractional point based on the actual screen resolution (i.e icon 1 is located at 95% screen width, etc..)

HTH

Chris

chrismenke
09-06-2001, 01:51 AM
Also, one of my favorite pieces of shareware, Desktop Resetter, www.goddfaddasoft.com (http://www.goddfaddasoft.com) will do this for you.

maxx
09-06-2001, 12:29 PM
Thanks guys.

-maxx

ricercar
09-06-2001, 01:05 PM
FWIW, I've read that Macintosh volumes are mounted in order of their modifcation date--after the volume with your active system folder, but unfortunately I can't tell you exactly where it's verified officially.

------------------
ricercar

my free 7500 grew up into a 9500, and it's still nickel-and-diming me to death!

hubba bubba
09-14-2001, 11:46 AM
it also has to do with how full the volume is, how many files, etc. there's a TIL note that explains, can't remember which one...