PDA

View Full Version : Conflict Catcher Warning!?

Warren Rogers
07-11-2001, 11:24 PM
"Warning! This file is using more memory in the system heap at startup than it is requesting."

I just got (finally!) Conflict Catcher. While poking around in its features I discovered these warning messages associated with several extensions and control strips. Some of them are Apple supplied ones.

Anyone know what this means? I have images of extensions overwriting other extensions. Is there some way I can increase the memory requested so this doesn't happen?

kaye
07-12-2001, 04:18 PM
W,

I've seen that too and basically as the init loads it tells how much memory in the system heap it is going to use, and then it uses more than that. So CC8 reports this discrepancy. Not a biggie but at one time CD/DVD SpeedTools did that (back when it was called CD SpeedTools) and I reported that to Intech complete with a screenshot of what CC says. They fixed it by just requesting more from the system heap. Does not seem to affect stability though.

Your other problem of init images over others during startup, have you tried smaller images in the CC8 preferences? Open CC8->Edit->Preferences->Startup-> Startup Icons and select the smaller icon. k

Warren Rogers
07-12-2001, 08:51 PM
Thanks Kaye.

I'm sorry, I need to clear up some confusion. When I said 'I have images' I intended to imply that I imagine these extensions and control panels overwriting each other as they load. What I imagained from that was that there might be a way for me to tell them to ask for more memory to begin with; if they are indeed overwriting each other. Sorry for the confusion!

-w

kaye
07-13-2001, 12:11 PM
They are not overwriting each other, but CC8 has a feature to Guarantee System Heap. Open CC8->Edit->Preferences->Startup-> and check Guarantee System Heap and leave the default 256K or 20%. k

Warren Rogers
07-14-2001, 01:16 PM
k-

Thanks for clearing this up. I'm guessing that this adjusment means more to me than it does to my computer! Anyway, thanks again.
-w

dragon_x
07-14-2001, 07:21 PM
what does 'Guarantee System Heap' mean?

Does it help prevent crashes?
Maybe it guarantees that the system heap will be there? http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/confused.gif

------------------
Life in the fast lane leads to:
The Resteraunt At The End Of The Universe

kaye
07-15-2001, 12:05 AM
I have used this feature for a long time. It was available in RAM Charger before CC. According to the CC8 docs:

Guarantee System Heap - This extremely technical parameter makes Conflict Catcher create a memory buffer to protect against poorly programmed startup files - files for which the programmer failed to properly specify the memory requirements.

If you seem to be having crashes during startup, experiment with turning this option on.

k

cmteng
08-23-2001, 05:29 AM
Hi Warren Rogers,

To effectively disable extensions and control panel you need a lot of information. Maybe you can give my shareware, Extension Overload a try at http://www.ExtensionOverload.com

Extension Overload is an extensions, control panels, control strip modules and contextual menus management application. It offers detail information of 5100 extensions and control panels, control strip modules and contextual menu items in your system. It also lets you activate and deactivate them, so that you can always easily tailor your system to your current requirements. In addition, Extension Overload includes a useful collection of helpful information and tidbits.