PDA

View Full Version : App Switcher is funky

greg_w
08-07-2001, 10:17 AM
OK, here is the problem:
I like to use the Switcher in 8.6. But I keep it vertical and small icon view. All of a sudden, it is only horizontal and big. I cannot change its orientation, nor can I close it and ignore it. I trashed the appswitcher prefs, and no change.

Any advice?

kaye
08-07-2001, 10:51 AM
Try rebuilding the desktop. Or it may be that it has become corrupted and you may need to reinstall it. Have you run Norton Disk Doctor, DiskWarrior, and/or Disk First Aid? k

greg_w
08-07-2001, 12:12 PM
Kaye,
Thanks for the reply.

I have done those measures: Rebuild, DD,DW, DFA and zap pram. Can I install just the switcher or am I going to have to do the whole OS?

kaye
08-07-2001, 12:29 PM
I have never used that app in 8.6. But I would think that you could use Tome Viewer (on the ftp site in the apple_stuff folder I guess) to just get it and not anything else. k

lasvegas
08-07-2001, 11:37 PM
You can somewhat control the Switcher Palette by using the command and option keys as you click the zoom box on it. A much easier method though is to use the shareware application SwitchSetter located at http://www.channel1.com/users/cg601/aso/SwitcherSetter.hqx .

mactheripper
08-08-2001, 01:34 AM
You can also dl the fantastic AppSwitcher Control (http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=456&db=mac) shareware app. It sets all possible attributes in an easy-to-use interface.

greg_w
08-08-2001, 09:41 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

lasvegas- I know that I can control the appearance if the switcher. But the problem is that suddemly I can't! And further more I can't just close it. There is no response when I click the close box.

I think that IO will look into the shareware apps, but even then, the Apple Switcher will still be open. Short of throwing up my hands and reinstalling the OS what can I do?

lasvegas
08-09-2001, 03:16 AM
It wouldn't hurt to reinstall the OS. It doesn't change your preferences for anything when you do this. The only kicker is that you need to run Software Update again to bring the OS back up to current.

gmidd
08-10-2001, 08:57 PM
Could be that pesky CarbonLib. I ran into problem of app switcher woudn't open after I 'upgraded' carbonlib from 1.2.5 to 1.3.1...
Yanked the 1.3.1 and put 1.2.5 back in; works fine now (OS 8.6) -gm

greg_w
08-11-2001, 12:05 PM
gmidd - bingo!

Going back to CarbonLib 1.2.5 did the trick! That was really bugging me and I have way too much to do right now to bother reinstalling the OS just to take care of that.

Thanks.

the_anarch
08-17-2001, 01:39 PM
It sure looks like CarbonLib was the problem here.

I just thought I would mention that, in the future, if it happens again and CarbonLib isn't the culprit, try this: Go into the Help Center, do a search for "app switcher", and it should come up with a link for "Switching Between Open Programs" under Mac Help. Click on that link and there will be a link in the text for "Restore the default display settings for Application Switcher for me." Click on that and it should restore the App Switcher to its original settings. Hopefully that would restore the ability to close it, resize it, etc.

There's also a link in the text there for arranging the App Switcher as a title-bar-less window, icon buttons-only , down in the lower left of the screen. Takes up the least amount of screen estate of all the options.

greg_w
08-19-2001, 01:01 PM
Anarch,

Thanks for the last suggestion in your post. I finally took the minute and a half to check that out. Making the switch small and tucked in the corner is a great option. Thanks