PDA

View Full Version : Going from 7.6.1 to 8.1; clean install or transfer?

clyde
08-11-2001, 10:04 PM
Been using 7.6.1 for years because it works. It's on a 7500 that is mainly an internet surfer. Now, to use Norton Utilities (recommended by Gurus), OS 8.1 or later is needed.

7.6.1 is on the 7500's internal HD. An external HD has 8.0 on it as an alternative OS.

Do you recommend doing a clean install of 8.0, then updating 8.0 to 8.1 on the internal HD, or would it be practical to upgrade the 8.0 on the external HD and transfer that OS via drag-n-drop to the internal HD?

Thanks for the guidance.

lasvegas
08-11-2001, 11:39 PM
It would be just fine to update the 8.0 to 8.1 and then copy the System Folder to the Internal driveČÍ But! After doing the update, boot from a CD to move the folder. This is to avoid copying files that are currently in use (A sure fire technique to corrupt a System Folder!).

mactheripper
08-12-2001, 05:16 PM
Good tip, LV. That way is easier and potentially less hassling.

I would personally reformat the target boot drive after first backing up whatever you want, if you have the storage space. Then fresh install 8.0, update to 8.1 (or 8.6), and then bring back extensions a few at a time, Preferences files, then apps. I usually don't have to reinstall apps when using this sequence, only if I somehow screw up existing prefs files with different app versions.