PDA

View Full Version : corruption

Macdaddi2u
07-08-2001, 08:43 PM
Well I feel dumber than ever. I have lately been going along telling people that my machine is running fine...that is after i did a clean install. because at least one file (apple menu preferences)for sure and not sure how many more were corrupted. Recently I did another scan with Norton anti virus, and it told me it was unable to scan that same apple menu preference file again. clicking on the preference file yields a message stating an error occured and the file was unable to launch. The first time recently I did a clean install, was right after i found that same message, also right after i had downloaded ATI universal installer and installed it. So things are going along alright after the clean install, looking for more ATI extensions, I download and install ATI 42. Bang, same deal. Two clean installs in 4 weeks time. I dont know that the ATI files are at fault but circumstantial evidence sure makes them look guilty as h*ll. All ATI extensions were installed with "extensions off". Keeping the programs down to a bare minimum untill stability is achieved...OS 9.1, Norton Anti Virus, Photoshop 5.5,Itunes (I know what you are thinking and yes itunes are manditory),and ((cringes)) and AOL
8500 OS 9.1,320mb fast page 60ns RAM, XLR8 G3/500 (hoping to overclock someday), Voodoo 5 5500, ATI Xclaim 128 VR,XLR8 USB

kaye
07-08-2001, 09:04 PM
M2,

Shooting in the dark but a few thoughts. In the Apple Menu Options control panel, is "Remember recently used items:" unchecked? Sometimes that is the source of problems. Do you also have Norton Utilites? The Norton CrashGuard Extension is a possible problem. I would disable it. Just trash that Apple Menu preference file, reboot, open the Apple Menu Options control panel and uncheck "Remember recently used items:". Last, you have Speculative Processing disabled in the xlr8 control panel?

I can't help with the necessary ATI software for the earlier cards. k

Macdaddi2u
07-08-2001, 09:47 PM
I cant remember if I left the recently used items checked or not, but cant open the control panel now because of the error, I will trash the pref. file and reboot. I dont have Norton Utilities so thats not an issue. Speculative is disabled in the XLR8 control panel.

M.Brane
07-09-2001, 12:13 AM
Macdaddi: Do you have a copy of "Clean Install Assistant" ? If not, find one ! It saves a lot of hassle.

------------------
Safely behind the bleeding edge.

tachyon
07-09-2001, 02:25 AM
"clicking on the preference file yields a message stating an error occured and the file was unable to launch."

you're not DOUBLE clicking preference files, are you? They aren't supposed to be opened! If they are corrupted just delete them and the OS will make a new one upon restarting.

As for whats corrupting them, you need to start making a log of what you do on the Mac (i.e. what apps you launch and in what order) and run Norton at the end of each session to see if it has become corrupted during that session.

marrand
07-12-2001, 03:11 PM
Macdaddi: did you reformat the disk before the clean install? i.e. erase everything and start from the beginnng?

As I understand it, file corruption arises from improper allocations of memory registers. File A goes where File B is sitting, overwrites it, and File B is now corrupt. This is not supposed to happen with proper memory management. But it does. One obvious cause is conflicts between two programs. Experienced Mac users have learned various conflicts by trial and error, and by disabling known ones (e.g. Remember Recently Used Items, Speculative Processing or Norton CrashGuard) were able to eliminate file corruption.

Where the files go in the memory are dictated by the software and OS. If there are no conflicts, each file goes into its allocated memory area and all is well in the world. A clean install takes care of the OS part, but any "bugs" in other software would still remain on the disk. Perhaps the ConflictCatcher may help. Perhaps keeping a log of everything you do on the Mac may help. By "help" I mean isolating the offending subroutines and disabling them if possible.
But I imagine that is a real chore.

But I learned that improper memory management can also arise from the firmware implanted on the little board on your disk. If the instructions are damaged, your disk is faulty, and the inevitable cumulative file corruption will eventually crash your disk.

I don't know if this makes any sense since I am a relative novice, and only recently started "digging" into the "machinery" of the Mac. When I have encountered problems similar to yours, I reformatted and started from scratch. Luckily my HD was ok and I managed to reach a stable state.

Just curious: are you using Action Files as directory? I have found that this neat little gadget conflicts seriously with Photoshop6.0. Action tech support denied any such conflict, and I had to solve this problem on my own. If not Action, any other little gadget to keep track of your files in your computer?

Macdaddi2u
07-14-2001, 09:25 AM
When I put the OS 9.1 in a few months back I reinitialized the disk, but not for the two clean installs. As far as I know there are no Action Directories. Planning on putting in a new HD soon, but instead of transfering all the files, I think I will start from scratch and build it up, only adding a select few files now being used on the current HD. How does that sound?

marrand
07-14-2001, 04:30 PM
yes. that's what I would do when software acts-up: start from scratch.

Macdaddi2u
07-15-2001, 10:53 AM
Sounds good to me too.....thinking about changing my name here to puter illiterate...hehe http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif