PDA

View Full Version : CD SpeedTools 5.7 vs mod Apple CD driver ?'s

kirk-pa
07-11-2001, 11:43 PM
I'm wondering if anyone has done any real world tests between Intech's CD SpeedTools and a modified copy of Apple's CD-DVD driver? I've been running the modified version of Apple's driver since getting my Plextor 40x UW SCSI drive. Although it seems to run "ok", I've recently thought about replacing it with SpeedTools, mainly because I'm also thinking about getting a copy of Hard Drive SpeedTools and can get both for a lower price when ordered together. Is it really better though?

Any info would be helpful. I tried searching through the forums but found no real data about this. Currently my Apple Driver version is 1.4.4 (Mac OS 9.1) and the version of SpeedTools is 5.7 (running a demo right now). System is a PM 8600 w/ XLR8 466 G3 & 256MB of RAM.

Thanks,
Kirk

kaye
07-12-2001, 04:22 PM
If you have MacBench 5 CD, you could run a comparison test between the hacked Apple driver and CD/DVD SpeedTools. I do like the Intech software. Lots of features. k

kirk-pa
07-12-2001, 06:20 PM
K, thanks for the reply. I do have a copy but just didn't have time to run MacBench this week on it. Its a busy week when I'm now going from knowing a lot about 2 OS's (Windows + MacOS) and now Solaris. Figured someone had run this once before and might have remembered. I do agree some of the features definitely help a lot, but as a side question, what are the implications of running Speedtools and burning with Toast 5? I tried it without the reader extension and got the standard message saying an unknown driver is using this. I figured its fine as I got that with the modified Apple one as well.

-Kirk

kaye
07-12-2001, 07:42 PM
Kirk,

I've got Toast 5 but have not loaded it yet. Using Toast 4.1.1 and CD/DVD SpeedTools and OS9.1, I don't get any messages, just works. I already had SpeedTools 5.7 loaded. Just did the Toast 4.1.1 install and everything works. No complaints or warning windows. And I did not remove any of the inits. k

MacMikester
07-13-2001, 09:52 PM
Hey k, If I'm not mistaken and you have not disabled the Toast Reader extension, then that is the driver that your CDRW is using, not CD/DVD SpeedTools. That is why you don't get the warning. The warning is benign and it can just be ignored when using CD/DVD SpeedTools as the driver and using Toast to burn.

Regards

kaye
07-14-2001, 11:25 AM
MM,

I was wondering about that myself. I know the CD/DVD SpeedTools provides the driver for my Kenwood CD-ROM drive. But I was wondering which driver is running the CDRW. Looks like it has to be the Toast CD Reader extension.

Any reason to disable the Toast extension? k

MacMikester
07-14-2001, 03:00 PM
Hey k,

Not really that I can see if it all is working for you. Maybe the Intech driver is a little faster? Certainly it gives you more options for adjusting cache sizes and data streaming.