PDA

View Full Version : Finder Keeps Quitting

angela
05-31-2001, 11:25 AM
Hello,
I dont know why my finder keeps quitting randomly and causes a systems freeze. Is this a serious problem? What should I do? Help.

Powermac 6100
OS 9.0.4

Michael
05-31-2001, 01:49 PM
first thing would be to trash your finder preference file. if you have unresolved crashes, they can corrupt your finder prefs.
try that,
M

angela
05-31-2001, 04:00 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. I deleted it and I will see what happens. I thought about replacing the finder, but my OS 9 bit the dust. I noticed that I the finder generally crashes when Netscape is open which is a pain because I start writing email and end up losing all of it. I might update my Netscape to see if this helps as well.

mactheripper
05-31-2001, 11:09 PM
That is more likely to be a netscape problem than an Finder problem.

All web browsers that are Netscape or IE 4.X are notoriously flaky. NN 3 was good, but that was long ago. IE 5 is OK, but still requires relaunching every day.

Do you have MacsBug? It is a useful tool for seeing what caused the crash and sometimes escaping it. It is available free on the Gurus ftp site.

angela
06-01-2001, 08:03 AM
Thanks for the suggestion for Macbugs--I will get it so that I can troubleshoot the next time freezing occurs. The culprit probably is Netscape and I notice strange occurrences with this browser from time to time.. I haven't noticed any weirdness with Explorer so far--knock on wood.

tachyon
07-13-2001, 02:36 AM
angela: Get iCab from http://www.iCab.de/ it's small, fast and quite stable. PS How much RAM are you allocating to Netscape? Betcha iCab crashes half as often with 2/3 the RAM allocated.

P.S. Macsbug may not help as much as attempting a Force Quit when the System freezes and seeing what app was in the foreground when the freeze occured. A background app might be the culprit, such as "Control Strip Extension" or "HP Backgrounder" (if you have a HP printer that is)

Try Cmd-opt-esc and see if it says "Netscape" or something in the dialog box that pops up. If it can't even write the text that ought to be in that box, the System software ought to be Clean-Installed.

angela
07-13-2001, 09:54 AM
Thanks for the suggestion of icab. I have tried this browser in the past, but the smiling face was kinda annoying. When I get the freeze situtation, its always Netscape. Sometimes the forced quit works and other times I just reboot. Actually, I have found Explorer to work flawlessly.

P.S. I have allotted 20.9 mb for Netscape, but it is a memory hog. I have another complication too--my hard drive is out of space. I have about 16mb of free space and my system is cramped. I am sure this has an effect too. I got a larger drive, but have not had time yet to format, transfer, etc. the new drive. I wish I could clone the old drive...life would be easier.