PDA

View Full Version : OS 9.1 and Automatic software updates

06-27-2001, 11:42 PM
I have been running OS 9.1 for the last 7 - 10 days - Before that OS 8.6 and during this past 7 - 10 days about 3 times a window pops up and says automatic update softwares - This sounds nice is it a good thing?

Do it? No conflicts?

And why does the OS 9.1 Scan all three partitions for "I forget" - it just does it no asking.

Randy

Dogstarman
06-28-2001, 12:34 AM
Auto SW Update is a control panel you can set a schedule for. It sounds like there is one already set if it is bothering you like that. Just open the CP (called "Software Update") and check the box to update SW automatically. It is a good way to let your machine alert you to new components. And with the ASU site offline now (and forever) it may very well be the easiest way to stay on top of your Mac's SW. You can choose to install SW or not, so it is not an irreversible thing.

As far as scanning for something? Maybe Sherlock is indexing? I dunno about that. Aaaahhh...another partitioning issue. Wonder what the scan is for, myself.

06-28-2001, 12:54 AM
Yes - that was it - it looked at the Cheetah drive and was "indexing" each partition. I don't remember it being Sherlock but it sorta sounds familar.

Why does it do that?

Randy

dragon_x
06-28-2001, 09:03 AM
The indexing is so you can run a quick, 'find by content'. I never use this so I turn it off, by disabling the extensions & stuff. I also do this for the SoftWare update.

------------------
Life in the fast lane leads to:
The Resteraunt At The End Of The Universe.

tachyon
07-13-2001, 02:31 AM
I think one of the extensions Dragon_x has disabled is called FBC Indexing Scheduler, but you could just go to Sherlock 2, Find Menu, Index Volumes, "Schedule..." button, and tell it when YOU want it to index your volumes.