PDA

View Full Version : 8.6 vs. 9.x ???

cbphoto
06-29-2001, 03:16 PM
I'm running 8.6 on my PowerWave w/ a G3 350 card. Was thinking about going to 9x. Is it really worth the trouble? Would love to hear our comments. Thanks

dragon_x
06-29-2001, 06:13 PM
Depends on what you are doing.

I like 8.6 better, but for QT 4, Firewire and USB, 9.1 is better. Netscape works better in 8.6, from what I've seen. You dont really need 9.1 for USB, but for FW, its almost necessary.

------------------
Life in the fast lane leads to:
The Resteraunt At The End Of The Universe.

ChrisYip
06-29-2001, 08:48 PM
We're running 9.1 or 9.0.4 on the machines in our lab that can run it. Biggest thing - make sure you have lots of RAM - it helps a lot.

Everything works pretty well.

Chris

cbphoto
06-29-2001, 09:20 PM
I'm doing tons of Photoshop! And the web, mostly with Netscape. Does Photoshop have a preference? It seems to run well in 8.6, but Netscape is a little funky.

ChrisYip
06-29-2001, 11:56 PM
I thought there was something about Photoshop 6 and 9.1 somewhere - maybe a posting to MacFixit...

We're running 5.5. under 9.1. and haven't seen any big problems

ChrisYip
06-29-2001, 11:58 PM
Take a look here:
http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000380.html

tekcan
07-03-2001, 11:21 PM
I have extensive experience with 8.6 & 9.1, at work we run 9+, at home I prefer 8.6.
9 is slower, buggier and features my least favorite addition, sherlock. If you spend any time at all searching your drives and networks, you learn to hate sherlock in a big way. You can't search for invisible folders, and your search options are severly limited.
Netscape runs fine on both for me, but I do have to note several months of dealing with font corruption problems with 9.
Unless 9 has some features you just can't live witbout, I would stick with 8.6, especially if you've skimped on the RAM. Be aware you will have to update alot of software you thought you might never have to upgrade, such as ATM, netscape, networking software, and periferal software,(scanners, printers, etc.)
I consult with people everyday who ask me if they should upgrade, I ask two questions:
Is there something you need that only 9 provides?
Will all your old software and periferals still be useable without costly upgrades?
Remember, if your system works for you, and all your current software is running well, why mess with it? It's not as if your software will expire on a certain date if you don't upgrade, your photoshop 6 will run on 8.6 in the year 2010. There are no features in 9 that attract me to upgrade, it's a step backwards in my mind!
Better to spend money on more RAM, or your kids or somethin'.
Not that I'm against upgrades, I've been in this since OS 6 and looking forward to getting an ibook with OS X.

Terrible's 2

marrand
07-12-2001, 05:24 PM
tekcan: thanks for the tips regarding 8.6 vs. 9.1.
Question: you really mean 9.1, not 9.0.x?
I went directly from 8.1 to 9.0.4 and was very very pleased. The speed increase was immediate, and appears to be more stable.

Oh yes, some software had conflicts, but I was able to download the patches and fix all. My most common applications are Photoshop6, Microsoft Office 98 (word, excel and ppt), and Nestscape. Never use Sherlock. My computer is: G3 desktop, updgraded with G3/500, 45GB IDE and 384 RAM.

I heard that 9.1 is a different beast than 9.0.4. Is this true?
I read that some people had real problems with 9.1, and for myself I see no reason to use it.