PDA

View Full Version : Best OS for 7100/80?

csd
06-22-2001, 03:08 PM
I acquired a 7100/80 with 48 MB Ram and a 2 GB HD to run my EPSON printer and Stylus Rip software. I did a clean install of OS 9.1 and connected it to my beige G3 via ethernet. The problem is it takes 20 minutes to copy a 250 Mb file, either over the network, or from the intenal CD. I can't remember if it was this slow with the original 7.5 OS. Would this computer work better with an older version of OS, or is it just a memory or processor issue? Or all of the above.

ChrisYip
06-22-2001, 03:49 PM
Yikes... w/ a stock machine, that's pushing the envelope a bit - I think OS 9.1 needs a lot of RAM... On my PowerBook under 9.1, it's already grabbing 47 MB... So you're probably doing a lot of disk swapping etc.

I have a 7100/66 that's been upgraded with a G3 card and we're running 8.6 and that's doing O.K.... the MacOS there is only using up 13 MB - Virtual Memory is off and I think I'm using RamDoubler to help it out...as best I can (it only has 40 MB of real RAM).

You might want to downgrade to 8.6 and see if that makes it quicker or less of a memory hog.

Chris

Dogstarman
06-22-2001, 05:46 PM
Yeah. 9.1 is way too recent for a stock machine like that. StylusRIP should run (at least as far back as) 8.1 just fine. I used it when I had an Epson. As far as the speed is concerned, a RAM upgrade would be your best step, after you downgrade the OS to something more reasonable for the task at hand. Do you have a cache installed? IS your CD drive upgraded, cuz it only came with a 2x drive. That translates into about .3 MB/sec transfer rate. And your network is using the built-in ethernet at 10base-T? That's equally as slow, clocking in at 10 Megabits/second . These numbers are all theoretical, too. So expect rates at half or slightly better than half in reality.

M.Brane
06-22-2001, 08:21 PM
I run 9.0.4 on my 7100/80. Haven't noticed any slowdown compared to 8.5.1 and it seems more stable. However, it does have 136MB RAM & the extensions have been extensively tweeked. http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif