PDA

View Full Version : Sleeps after deleting Energy Control Panel

Jim Hef
06-06-2001, 11:31 AM
I've recently rebuilt my system software onto a new drive. I do not run the Energy control panel to put the computer to sleep, yet it still does this. Where else can I look to see what is causing this. I'm running two monitors. A Sony 21" from an ATI Nexus card, and a Iiyama 17" from the built in video as my "tools" dock. After about 30 minutes, the computer puts itself into sleep mode and then will recycle when I hit the Start button on the keyboard. If I have many applications open, it can sometimes freeze the computer and need to restart. Any thing to look for?

chatwood2
06-06-2001, 10:30 PM
Jim,

I have found that the Enegry Saver Control Panel can put a machine to sleep even when it is disabled. I suggest putting Enegry Saver in your control panels folder, restarting, and checking its settings. You should obviously move all sliders to "never." Then remove the control panel, restart, and see if the same behavior (unwanted sleeping) occurs.

If that does not work check your hard drive for any application that might be responsible, like "Sleeper" or the like.

- Chris

Jim Hef
06-07-2001, 09:58 AM
Thanks, I'm heading to check out these ideas!

kaye
06-07-2001, 10:37 AM
Chris is right on. One thing to remember, if you remove the PRAM battery or zap the PRAM or PRAM and NVRAM (I don't know whether the settings are in PRAM or NVRAM), the energy saver settings go back to default 30 minutes. If you have disabled or deleted the Energy Saver control panel, you must get it back to reset to Never. k

Jim Hef
06-08-2001, 12:17 PM
Thank you. When I removed the control panel it was still set at 30 minutes, and I have since reinstalled it. That solved the problem.