PDA

View Full Version : Load 9.1 on new volume

rhunt000
05-19-2001, 01:27 PM
If I want to load OS 9.1 on a new unused volume and be able to use the software that was loaded up with 8.6, do I need to change or alter anything? Do I need to copy the 8.6 system extensions to the 9.1 system folder? Thanks for any help.

Richard

Louie
05-19-2001, 01:49 PM
No. Just install 9.1 on the now empty volume. If you boot from the 9.1 volume, it can open and run anything that is compatible from the 8.6 volume and vice versa.

If you have an important app, say Photoshop, on the 8.6 volume, you can also install it on the 9.1 volume for better performance.

You need to be careful not to get cross-eyed with apps going to the other volume for preferences, etc. and be sure your aliases are pointing the the right file or folder.

Upgrade to Startup Disk Control Panel 9.2.1 for 9.1.

rhunt000
05-20-2001, 07:20 AM
Cool! Thanks for the info. I ordered the OS X/9.1 bundle and I have two separate volumes partitioned for both of them. Though, I will probable wait on loading OS X (yeah right) due to things I've read about not yet being compatible with SoftRaid, Miles2, etc.

MacMikester
05-20-2001, 05:59 PM
Hey r,

You will run into some apps that will not function without their specific extensions present in the active system folder. An example would be Norton Utilities, which, if you launch from the OS 8.6 disk, will give you an error message "can't find Norton Shared Library" if you are booted off the OS 9.x disk. An easy solution for Norton Utilities and some other apps like Netscape Navigator is to put the required items from the system folder into the folder with the application. These apps will look in the folder with the app, as well as in the active system folder, for the items in question. This config makes them a little more portable and can actually avoid some extension conflicts, if you ever need to troubleshoot that kind of problem.

Regards

rhunt000
05-21-2001, 11:03 AM
Thanks MacMikester.