PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning things up..... Help

05-14-2001, 07:59 PM
I have been or was using the same hard drive for 5-6 years or just copied it over to another drive so the same situation.

I keep my machine clean as I can - meaning as few useless extenions and things as possible - except the ones I need.

I don't have all of the install disks to start over!

So over the years I know many games/demos/programs/upgrades/updates have been added and deleted. Are there any good programs that would look at my hard drive and get rid of all the things I know are there and doing nothing?

I have heard of Spring Cleaning, MacaFix?, Conflict catcher - a friend said they screw things up - he may have used it to much knowing him.

So is there a answer?

Thanks
Randy

tm311
05-14-2001, 09:20 PM
i have heard horror stories about "spring cleaning", however i have used it in the past and never had anymajor problems. It will clean up things like dead alias's and empty folders..but those things you can do yourself. Do you run Disk Warrior or MUM on the hard drive? That should be all you need to keep the HD crusing along. You might want to pair down your preference folder and look at "extension overload" to see if you can identify any odd extensions....but i am sure you are aware of all these ideas. You might want to post some specifics for the true guru's regarding OS and system specs so they may be able to help you in other ways as well.

05-14-2001, 09:30 PM
I am running a 7500 with a XLR8 G3 400Mhz Carrier zif Upgrade. Running 176 megs RAM, with 1 MB virtual memory on. I am using OS 8.6

I do go through and toss the things I know must go. Try to keep things less cluttered.

I am sure I have duplicate, old, or outdated extensions, plugins etc.

Just trying to clean up before the clutter forces me to do so.

Thanks
randy

Michael
05-15-2001, 10:08 AM
spring cleaning is a good program. the problem with it is that it can't always distinguish what needs to go with what you need to keep. so unless you are very careful, you can inadvertently delete some important files. however, it is difficult to do that since you have a myriad of options available about what to do with those excess files. you can have them stored and see if everything works fine for a few days, then delete them.
another option is to go into your preference file, and routinely delete any you know are related to apps you no longer have. with extensions i'd be more careful. ultimately, getting familiar with what extensions you have, what they do etc. is very valuable. here is a link i have found useful. www.logicuser.net/extensions/browse.php3 (http://www.logicuser.net/extensions/browse.php3)

color coding your existing extensions and CPs is also useful. that way you will instantly know what new extension/CP is loaded. useful when you suddenly have a problem. on the gurus ftp site is a useful little script that automates the color coding for you.
M