PDA

View Full Version : Server Software

rhunt000
05-01-2001, 08:32 AM
This may not be the right board to ask this question, but may I ask what the Gurus use as server software? Thanks.

ChrisYip
05-01-2001, 10:24 AM
Which type of server are you interested in? - WWW? FTP? LAN?

Can't speak for MacGurus but for my lab, I'm using AppleShareIP for my mixed platform lab, it's also my main WWW server. For FTP, I'm using NetPresenz while my FileMaker Pro databases are hosted by FMPro's WWW server.

Chris

rhunt000
05-01-2001, 12:06 PM
WWW server. Is there anything out there relatively inexpensive? Just for someone goofing off at home.

innovativia
05-01-2001, 01:03 PM
if you are looking for cheap web servers (www) ... there is lots of free stuff actually ... like "quid pro quo" ... and it works quite well ... you can use lots of plug ins like netcloak (scripting language), and other things with it ... no perl or php support though

if you want something more powerfull (if you want to run perl scripts, php, mysql or whatever) and still want it to be free use something like linuxppc which has apache built in (apache is the most often used web server)

or if you have mac os x, just use the built in apache server on that platform

oh ... if you don't wanna run cgi scripts or do any dynamic html creation stuff with a database ... the normal web-sharing in macos will do also

ChrisYip
05-01-2001, 02:41 PM
Yup... MacOS PWS works well but it's slower to server than ASIP (but then again, ASIP is $$$) - NetPresenz works really well - it used to be shareware.
http://www.interarchy.com/netpresenz - it redirects you to a Digital River site.

HTH

Chris.

magician
05-02-2001, 02:14 AM
our main site, and this forum, in fact, are all running on Unix machines. Our www server is Apache.

our FTP site is currently running under NetPresenz, soon to be Rumpus.

we'll be opening up other servers, soon.....

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

innovativia
05-02-2001, 04:12 AM
hey magician,

what kind of unix machines are you running this on? open source linux? or sun solaris? what hardware?

also i was wondering what kind of bandwith you have got to run this site and how much traffic do you get on it?

do you do any database stuff such as mysql, etc?

thanks for the info!

mactheripper
05-02-2001, 07:38 PM
rhunt: Echo what innovativia said: For someone goofing off at home, on a Mac that you want to use to run normal apps, Quid Pro Quo is perfect. Free, easy, and pretty powerful.

If you want real perl support, php, and ssi, you need UNIX/Linux, which means LinuxPPC, as innovativia said. Or OSX.

Innov: We have a very close relationship with a local ISP, Magpage. They host the main site and the forums on mixed UNIX servers, mainly Sun. They are connected to the Net via redundant T3+, we are connected to them via something thick. We get a lot of traffic on this site.

We do not do any SQL. The secure shoppingcart was developed in perl by programmers affiliated with our ISP, and is customized.

We host our own ftp server and mail servers on Macs.

rhunt000
05-07-2001, 04:59 PM
Will Quid Pro Quo allow you to have a site with graphics and animation, such as those created with Adobe Illustrator and Live Motion? I'm not sure if I am asking the right question, but it seems like certain server software packs are only text based. I could be really stoned. http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/cool.gif

innovativia
05-08-2001, 05:07 AM
yes .... of course it will .... the only thing that will be a little more difficult to do with it is creating dynamic content ....

I mean ... Quid Pro Quo is powerfull ... just try it:
ftp://ftp.socialeng.com/pub/qpq/qpq2.hqx