PDA

View Full Version : The "Connect To" Script

videomatt
04-06-2001, 04:38 PM
I don't know if I am even calling this thing by the right name but it is an OS 8.5 program, with an icon that looks like a globe with a hand touching it. You put an alias of it on the desktop and when you click on it a dialog box pops up asking you to enter a URL to which you want to be connected. I want to change the default URL to one of my own choosing. How do I do it?

Louie
04-06-2001, 07:09 PM
While in the Finder, highlight this ? alias. Go to File in the menu bar. Click and drag the menu down to "Show Original". This will take you to the original app. Highlight it and "Get Info" on it and tell us what the hell you're talking about. For old guys, 8.5 is ancient history.

MacMikester
04-07-2001, 12:47 AM
Hey L,

Its a current applescript, even in OS 9.1, saved as an application in the Apple Menu.

VM: I couldn't figure out a way to change it with Resedit or AppleScript Editor. Apple has it hard coded to apple.com as the default. It's easy enough to write your own AppleScript to log on to the default of your choice, or set your browser "home" to anything you want.

'more than one way to skin a cat.

videomatt
04-21-2001, 08:25 PM
A month later I return to pick up the thread! I would like to learn to write my own AppleScript to create a similar application, however, I'm totally uneducated in even the most basic programming concepts. Is this AppleScript endeavor something that I could learn?

MacMikester
04-21-2001, 09:50 PM
Hey v,

You're cracking open the door on a whole world of coolness with AppleScript. There are websites and books about it. If you want to write a script the easy way, use the record function of AppleScript editor. Open it to a new blank script, click record, open a scriptable application, do some stuff, then go back to AppleScript editor, click end, save the script as an application on the desktop. When you click on it again, it will repeat what you just did. You can view that script or any others to see what the syntax of the script looks like. Modify some, play around to you get a feel for it.

If you simply want one-click access to a website, save the URL on the desktop by dragging the address out of the address window of the browser onto the desktop, or better, put it in the Apple Menu folder. Many, many ways to do stuff like this.

tm311
04-21-2001, 10:11 PM
Or even cooler grap a copy of "dragthing"....then you can make your own grouping of "url's"...so you can always be a single click away from the guru's forums!!!!

Louie
04-22-2001, 12:28 AM
Apple's Developer site has reams of downloadable tutorials on AppleScript. Much of it is in the "Help" in OS 9.1.