PDA

View Full Version : OS 9 Software Update Control Panel

angela
04-06-2001, 12:38 PM
Why is it that the control panel for software update only works with a dial-up instead of cable modem or DSL as well? This seems like a useless other than to just find out if there are any updates. Comments?

Dogbert
04-06-2001, 01:39 PM
It works great on my cable modem.

jorge
04-06-2001, 02:08 PM
make sure you have the latest version of Software update. I forget what version didn't work well with my cable modem.
http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=298

j

angela
04-06-2001, 03:05 PM
I checked to see what version of software update I have and I do have 1.2. The problem is the update disconnects my software for the DSL. Any suggestions? I called Apple and they could not suggest anything other than to say that I should use a dial-up. Okay, maybe I need to change something...

P.S. Thanks for the version tracker link. I am reading this post http://www.macfixit.com/ultimate/Forum33/HTML/000655.html where others ahve the same problem. I too have MacPoet and Verizon. I will try out force quit (Command-Option-Escape) to see what happens.

[This message has been edited by angela (edited 06 April 2001).]

angela
04-07-2001, 12:05 AM
Jorge,

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction with versiontracker. The force quit (Command-Option-Escape) worked like a charm. This is the only way that cable modem and DSL users can use the software update in OS 9 without experiencing a disconnect. Amazing.... Thanks again.

MacMikester
04-07-2001, 12:39 AM
Not a problem for cable modem. The problem is with MacPoet or any application that is up to run PPP over ethernet (i.e with DSL modem/routers).

angela
04-07-2001, 09:17 AM
I agree it is not a problem for most cable users, but it has happened to cable modem users that use software routers.

Louie
04-07-2001, 02:03 PM
I have never had a problem with either version of the SoftWare Updater and I use a cable modem and a software router.

angela
04-07-2001, 04:00 PM
Well, I can't argue with the majority not having problems, merely mentioning the exception and not the rule reported problems. Also, Apple claims that cable modem and DSL users have reported problems, but yet they have done nothing to suggest how to do a fix other than mentioning the fix is in OSX. I laughed since older nubus machines can't handle anything past 9.1 anyway. Thank goodness for furums for tips/tricks.

magician
04-08-2001, 05:16 AM
that control panel saves my butt administering all the macs here on the LAN. I just hit it every Saturday on each machine, and they all go out over our DSL T1 and talk to the Apple servers. I tell them each to do the default recommended download, then go back to the beginning to do a restart, or whatever. Once all the machines are done, I do the same thing with Symantec Live Update with each Mac. Then I run NDD and NAV.

the Software Update control panel is one of the greatest things Apple has done in a while. I love that feature.

angela
04-08-2001, 09:05 AM
Magician,

I love the software update too. I was wondering since you have DSL, do you have to do a forced quit too in order for it to work? Louie mentioned that the reason why I can't just use the control panel like cable modem folks is because of MacPoet and the router. I read somewhere on versiontrackers about a software called T-DSL Mac ftp://software.sda.t-online.de/pub/service/Mac/T-DSL_Mac_Install_2.hqx that allows you to add the DSL modem to the modem control panel as an alternative to using the forced quit.

From Versiontrackers:

"The best PPPoE solution I found in MacOS 9 is Remote Access and TCP/IP extensions that enables PPPoE support in Remote Access to dial in and use your DSL service like any other modem. It makes automatic dialup as soon as you use a TCP/IP program or any other Remote Access features. It was released byT-Online in Germany for their Mac customers and works perfectly well in US English MacOS 9.1. Info about DSL-Driver (in german) or direct download link. The installation is easy.

1. Run the installer. It might ask you to enter the name and password for your DSL provider. Enter the
correct info or just any info it can be changed later.
2. Restart the computer.
3. Open Modem Control Panel and select connect via T-DSL modem and modem setup also T-DSL modem.
Save and close.
4. In TCP/IP control panel select PPP and using PPP Server depending on your ISP provider you might need
to enter a DNS number. Save and close.
5. In Remote Access create a new configuration enter your name and password to your DSL service. Save
and close.

That's it. If you have done it properly you should be able to connect via the Remote Access control strip
plug in or the Remote Access Status program, or launching a TCP/IP program depending on the options set
in the Remote Access Control Panel."

//Rob

I got a little spoffed at this idea because the software is German designed and I don't "sprechen sie german." I guess I could get around this translation issue with a Babelfish translation. Comments? I was curious about how DSL users with MacPoet access the software update. Its always good to know more than one way of doing things.

[This message has been edited by angela (edited 08 April 2001).]

Dogstarman
04-08-2001, 10:44 AM
I use DSL on my network and SW Update works flawlessly because I have the router setup to do the PPPoE dirty-work. So the Macs think that they have a direct connection and have no need to "dial-up".

angela
04-08-2001, 11:46 AM
DSM,

This sounds cool that the router is handling the SW update. Do you have a software or a hardware router? I wonder if I could do something similar with IPNetRouter? Any suggestions?

angela
04-08-2001, 07:12 PM
P.S. I tried T-DSL and it works flawlessly. Much better back up option than using the 56k modem. Cool

Dogstarman
04-08-2001, 10:38 PM
It depends on your modem and router. The WesTell DSL modem can be flashed to handle the PPPoE without any SW (MacPoet, etc) but I use a Linksys 4-port router that likes to do it all by itself. http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif . I can't speak for IPNetRouter. I will be getting familiar with it again in a couple months thanks to a friend wanting to use it, so maybe I can find something in advance. I think this goes back to the notion that the best way to handle operations is to outsource it to a dedicated piece of HW.....at least in this case. For a while there, the Linksys routers were as cheap as an IPNR license from Buy.com....but no more.

Louie
04-08-2001, 11:32 PM
Angela; I believe I saw that you are using IPNetRouter 1.54. I upgrade every few weeks and am up to 1.6c7 now. It has handled PPoE for a good while, but can't remember when it started because I don't use PPoE. Maybe you should update. Again, Peter has some of best tutorial pages I've ever seen.

angela
04-09-2001, 12:27 AM
Wow, I wish I had a hardware router sometimes, but IPNetrouter is all I have. I know I am in deep trouble because I turn my computer off at night which is one good reason for hardware. Thus, I have to remember to turn off file sharing until I really need it. True, the modem could be flashed, but I would need a PeeCee and software to do it according to Westell. So far so good with IPNeRouter. Does anyone know why when I turn my computer on, the HD takes forever to boot up? Its almost like my HD is being held hostage. I am going to check on updating the software, it can't hurt.

I forgot, what't the command to rebuild the desktop?

ChrisYip
04-09-2001, 12:45 AM
Command-Option when you're booting the machine will result in that dialog box asking you if you want to rebuild your desktop - a better way is to use TechToolPro, I think.

As for SW - I've used it over my Airport -> Asante DSL Router -> Alcatel DSL modem and it works fine. (I also use it over my Airport at work where it's DHCP'ing my machine).

As for booting taking forever - check to see if you might be loading too many extensions (i.e. things that you don't use) - that could be part of it. also - check to see that you have the Check RAM on Startup option turned off (it's a secret key combo - something like from the Finder, hold down Option while Command-Opening the Memory Control Panel).. if that is enabled, then it can take a while to check your ram when you are booting.

Also - if you have a ton of SCSI devices on your various busses - that will take a while for the bus scans to be completed. I have this problem (or dilemma) on my server machine which has something like 14 devices spread over 3 SCSI busses.

Chris

angela
04-09-2001, 09:46 AM
Chris,

Thanks so much!!! The Techtools took care of rebuilding the desktop and the secret combo was fabulous. I am impressed. Yesterday, I was totally frustrated because the DSL was intermittantly down and I was observing strange behavior on my drive. For example, when I tried to access my cdrom software I got a strange message that it was being accessed by another drive on the network. The control panel became an alias. This was weird because file sharing was turned off and there is only one HD, the CDrom stopped responding to the drivers. I desperately cleaned up the desktop, deleted extensions and preferences. Eventually I will deal with the Crom issue. Now the HD boots up much faster now.

Is your Asante router hardware? I assume so. I have come to the conclusion that I would need hardware too so that the SW won't turn off my MacPoet software. But At least for now I can use the forced quit.

I would like to email you about IPNetRouter questions. I need to hash out a few issues.

Dogstarman
04-09-2001, 05:17 PM
When is the delay during startup? If it is the initial power-on, you may have startup-delay enabled by a jumper on the drive. If it is after the extension set loads and as the desktop begins to show up, it is most likely AppleShare. You are getting a delay from FileSharing turning on or from the assignment of an IP address at each new startup. I can't remember exactly all the things going on in your setup, but those are usually the cases.

Oftentimes you can shorten the File Sharing delay by only sharing those folders you really need to share, and not the whole drive. Obvious tip, but you have no idea how many people have been relieved to "remember" that. http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

angela
04-09-2001, 08:24 PM
DSM,

After booting up and the drive shows up on the desktop, it takes longer for the desktop to finish rebuilding since I installed IPNetRouter even with filesharing turned off. I took Chris's suggestion regarding the memory control panel and rebuilding the desktop. I admit I had too many files on the desktop and unncessary extensions. This situation has improved itself drastically. I am mot sure how the router effects the situation, I'm sure it has some impact as well. I have a lot questions about the router, but I have been unsuccessful about obtaining answers so far. Maybe soon I will be able to sort out out firewall functions, what proxy means, etc.

Dogstarman
04-09-2001, 08:39 PM
Sounds like an AppleTalk issue. When you boot up, the machine needs to get it's IP address, which is assigned by the internet provider normally. Those of us running multiple computers through any type of router have to either "masquerade" as one machine or assign each machine on the LAN a unique address. It could very well be the assignment of that ID that is causing a delay. To check it out, just disable AppleTalk (Chooser is about the easiest way) and restart. See if that speeds things up a bit.

ChrisYip
04-09-2001, 09:44 PM
Angela

Just fired a reply to you via e-mail - hope it helps... You can paraphrase some of it back here if it does (since I replied to your specific questions off-forum, as it were)

Chris

angela
04-10-2001, 10:33 AM
Chris,

Thanks again for the email. I was up late responding to you. Kudos to you since you were able to answer so many of my issues. I think I agree with you that a hardware router is the way to go because of the flexibility. I think I like the idea of being able to turn off the computer and the router handling the SW update. I love all your tips and tricks.

P.S. The spammer was very clever in his setup and he was actually using a forged IP. I know you suggested to just trash the email, but my analytical side was ready to investigate. People who are new to the net could easily fall into the creep's trap.

--Angela