PDA

View Full Version : Altivec libraries question

Ton
04-01-2001, 03:25 AM
Does anyone know if these 4 libraries are gone with sys. 9.1?
I remember G4 upgrade owners had to manually extract them with tomeviewer from the OS CD as upgrades weren't recognized as G4 by the OS installer but I can't seem to find them in OS 9.1 anymore or am I missing something?

Thx, Ton

MacMikester
04-01-2001, 02:29 PM
Hey Ton,

Good question. I have asked a similar question in another forum topic and there doesn't seem to be a clear answer yet. So, I read the Apple developer docs on Altivec. Here's what I can glean from those docs: the extensions are not required for Altivec functioning but they add additional mathematical routines to those that are already handled in hardware. The docs mention routines that will be added to the the extensions in future versions, so it sounds like they were intended to be around for awhile.

We need to hear from someone who has installed a full version of OS 9.1 on a new native Apple G4 or bought one with OS 9.1 pre-installed to see if those extensions are present. If they are not, all we will really know is whether or not they are required on an Apple native G4. Unfortunately, I doubt that Apple support will answer the question: "Does my mac with an unsupported upgrade require an unsupported installation procedure to enable an unsupported functionality?" Maybe XLR8 will help, but even their customer service dude, the invisible smiling crooner, has vanished from these forums. Maybe he did a cover off key and pissed off the "chairman of the board" and now he sleeps with the fishes??

Ton
04-01-2001, 03:16 PM
MM. thanks for the reply,

Thats just what I did: made a clean English/Int install on a brand new 533 MP and I couldn't find the the mentioned libraries in the fresh installed system folder nor with tomeviewer on the installation CD...

Louie
04-01-2001, 03:19 PM
When that came up before, I searched my full 9.1 CD wil tome veiwer and they are not there. I assume that they have been incorporated into the system, MM's suggestion may be the only way to find out.

So, you've also been wondering what happened to Darin.

MacMikester
04-01-2001, 06:04 PM
Yeah, Louie, last I heard he was all capped for success with a smile, then he disappeared.

We still need to find out somehow if those extensions do anything for an upgraded PowerMac with a third party G4 running OS 9.1. (or are they superfluous for us as well?)

Louie
04-01-2001, 06:31 PM
Right, I'm still in the fast G3 class; but you now are in tall cotton.

magician
04-01-2001, 08:19 PM
that's a good question. Maybe he really did get his little feelings hurt by all the affectionate torture we lavished on him?

ok. I lavished torture on him. Me. I was the culprit. I even sent him that naked pic of Angelina Jolie that Dave shared with me the other day.

No response.

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

If that won't elicit a response....maybe he walked into Satriale's....and never walked out?

MacMikester
04-01-2001, 11:16 PM
Hey Louie,

I'm swattin' boll weevils left and right, this little 8500/G4 is doin' the job. I'm loading whole textbooks fom CDs onto the RAID so I can have a searchable database at work. I might even eventualy serve them up over a little intranet between my hospitals if I can get that set up. But this this little box is flying through text and graphics. I don't care how much faster a new machine might be, this is giving me excellent, usable and very satisfying speed. That's all I ask. Every now and then it just seems like everybody only focuses on the newest and the fastest. To hell with OS X and playing Apple's marketing game, fretting and crying and worrying and agonizing in public about whether or not OS X will be backwards compatible or not. If its good, I'll get around to it. Right at this moment, I feel like stopping the train for a minute to commend Apple for the machines that they have built, and to commend companies like XLR8 and Seagate for producing something with excellence instead of 21st century mediocrity. 2

Louie
04-01-2001, 11:37 PM
I feel the same way. I'll get around to OS X when they get it fully useable. Right now, I'm just interested in getting a fix for this 'write-through" crap so I can fully utilize my investment.

The rest of the tall cotton thing is.........."and wiping on the top leaves".