PDA

View Full Version : System Extensions list

chrismenke
03-29-2001, 07:22 AM
I was working in Windows2000 on the evil side of my desk, when I was hit by a revelation.

My System Folder is getting Windows like! The names of and purposes of extensions are becoming cryptic (Microsoft is of course a big contributor). In the interest of combatting this, can we as users beging to compile a list of these common (and uncommon) extensions, thier purposes, and their dependencies? Maybe the kind Gurus would be willing to host an information resource? I would like to eliminate everything from my System Folder which does not benefit me, and I could when they had sensible names & descriptions. However, the time has come when I am afraid to remove my SLPPlugin, etc., as I don't know what I'll be breaking.

I would hope that if we all banded to put together this resource, it could do a few good things:
Help us keep our System Folder's lean and mean.
Help eliminate a large percentage of the guesswork/trial & error in the paring of the Extensions Folder.
Allow us that sated feeling we get from understanding all the parts that make the motor work.
Reduce the amount of time the Gurus are spending supporting extension conflicts.
Bring more window shoppers (who will hopefully become customers) to the Guru's Store.

What does everyone think?

Cheers,
Chris

chrismenke
03-29-2001, 07:44 AM
Oh yeah....

I was thinking that a format like this would be a good start:

Name:
Extension Name
Package:
Package with ownership
Version:
Extension Version
Package Version:
Owner Version
Poster's System Version:
OS of user's System Folder
Function:
A statement of the extensions purpose.
User Base:
A statement recommending who should be using the extension
Made Obsolete by:
A statement detailing when an extension was incorporated into another extension, or core functionality.
Dependencies:
A running list of software/functionality that requires this extension.

So here is a mock-up, which is by no means necessarily accurate, but self editing is the point isn't it.

Name:
Apple Audio Extension
Package:
Mac OS 9.1 System Software
Version:
Package Version:
Poster's System Version:
Function:
This appears to be an Audio enabler for PCI based Power Macs
User Base:
Owners of PCI based Power Macs. Those with NuBUS based PowerMacs may try removing this extension to free System Resources.
Made Obsolete or Replaced by:
Third Party audio CODEC
Dependencies:
Audio output. Removal of this extension on PCI based Macs may impact audio playback and output, unless this is handled by another extension.

I know I would love to have this kind of info in one place, with a large community of users providing input/QA/experience. I know Extensions Manager & Conflict Catcher have tried to make this information available, but I've found that some of the nastiest Extensions lack proper descriptions, and that neither fully addresses the removal of benign extesions.

Just a thought,
Chris

[This message has been edited by chrismenke (edited 29 March 2001).]

EGPoulin
03-29-2001, 10:17 AM
Have you checked out Extension Overload? It is an Extension Manager of sorts and has info on all but the newest extensions...

I don't have a link, but just do a search on version tracker or the web.

Give it a whirl

~~~Eric~~~

jorge
03-29-2001, 01:16 PM
Conflict Catcher does this too.

j

EGPoulin
03-29-2001, 01:38 PM
I jsut took a quick look and under 9.1, there was only two extensions that the Extension Overload didn't know. Both being 3D interfaces.

Not too shabby for shareware.

~~~Eric~~~

chrismenke
03-29-2001, 02:12 PM
I hadn't heard of Overload, but I have been consistently underwhelmed by Conflict Catcher.

The reason I would like to see this done in a support forum environment, is to document all the real nitpicky scenarios...for instance, I run a double headed 9600, with one monitor at 1024, and one at 1600. For a while I've been running a Kensington 4 button mouse, but it wasn't fast enough, so I got Mouse2 (a brilliant little init from 1993?), and used it as well. Took me an hour to figure out that Mouse2 had to load first, else the Kensington driver would hang the boot process.

I know this is kind of esoteric, but that's really what would make it valuable. Everybody has wasted time debugging extensions, and I'm sure many of us have found something Conflict Catcher hasn't...I will be looking into Overload though...

Just a thought,
Chris

[This message has been edited by chrismenke (edited 29 March 2001).]

Urinal Puck
03-29-2001, 04:57 PM
Isn't there also a shareware electronic "book" that explains the purpose of specific extentions? I know I've seen it, but I've been racking my brain trying to think of what it's called, and I can't find it anywhere.

I'll keep looking

Urinal Puck

[This message has been edited by Urinal Puck (edited 29 March 2001).]

chrismenke
03-29-2001, 05:48 PM
I found myself Extension Overload, and I'm reasonably impressed! This guy is getting his shareware money!

Urinal Puck, this might well be what you were thinking of.

I still wish it were a little more comprehensive, but I guess you can't have everything...

the_anarch
03-29-2001, 07:04 PM
Hey UPper, the resource you're thinking of is called InformINIT. I haven't used it since OS8.1 days, but I'm sure it's still a valuable resource. In fact, I think I'm gonna go back and re-download it soon myself...
http://www.informinit.com

I do believe this resource does everything you were asking Chris, as long as they are up-to-date. However, what you may be wanting to do is get into some nitty-gritty specifics that would apply to a lot of us who subscribe to the Gurus' way of Macdom (in other words, those of us on these forums are more likely to be found with Hard Disk SpeedTools in our extensions folders than, say, Silverlining Pro).

Urinal Puck
03-29-2001, 07:56 PM
Thanks anarch,

Damn that was driving me nuts all day. Looks like the most recent version is 8.1 but the site says that version 9 is on the way. Isn't OS X extension free, anyway. He'll have to find something else to write about.

Urinal Puck

Louie
03-29-2001, 09:17 PM
Don Frakes, who wrote InformINIT, had a great piece of work and was THE expert on such matters. The OS 8.1 is the latest version. Don had a lot of problems including being mugged which resulted in some very serious injuries. He has promised to catch up, but hasn't. The Macintosh Guy in Portland had a great page on INIT's but it slipped. Extension Overload is getting better and better.

the_anarch
03-30-2001, 12:57 AM
Who is the Macintosh Guy in Portland? And why did Oregon pass a law stating that only one citizen in its largest city could engage in the Macintosh world of computing?

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Louie
03-30-2001, 01:31 AM
He used to have a very helpful site but he has become the Dr. Botts distributor or dealer and his site is almost an orphan http://www.themacintoshguy.com/

[This message has been edited by Louie (edited 30 March 2001).]

funicular
04-01-2001, 08:45 AM
Uh...actually that URL for InformINIT is http://mc04.equinox.net/informinit/update.html

I keep it handy and still find it useful.