PDA

View Full Version : Ext SCSI CDRW as playback CD drive

fred
03-11-2001, 06:49 PM
Mac G4 comes with standard DVD-ROM drive
Can you connect and external SCSI CDRW and use that as the playback CD drive?
Not that it is crucial, but just wondering if it can be done (for instance if the CDRW is a better drive than the Apple factory installed Sony drive)

I've got a Yamaha 8824.

(Perhaps this is the same as asking can you boot from an ext CDRW? If so, sorry for the duplication.)

Louie
03-11-2001, 09:08 PM
You can do that but you will need a good SCSI host adapter such as the Miles BlueNote http://www.macgurus.com/shoppingcart/showrampage.cgi?mgscsiinitioboards.html

[This message has been edited by Louie (edited 11 March 2001).]

magician
03-12-2001, 03:21 AM
and appropriate cabling (50-pin MIcroD), avoiding adapters. Make sure there is good termination on your external device, as well, or simply disable it and get a Granite terminator to be safe.

fred
03-18-2001, 03:23 AM
assuming you have the bluenote and appropriate granite cable and a terminator... what next?

Louie
03-18-2001, 08:36 PM
Stick BlueNote into a PCI slot, install small app that allows you do flash the BlueNote firmware if ever required and make settings on the card; attach cable; attach CDRW and go.

fred
03-25-2001, 04:13 AM
i was having a problem with adaptec jam 2.6. i've installed a firmware update and tried reinstalling jam. the yamaha is now working as a cd playback drive. what was wrong i'll never know, but i guess that's the world of macintosh. don't ask too many questions, just plug it in and go. i've been using windows too long. i'm used to more detailed solutions.

thanks for the help.

Louie
03-25-2001, 03:01 PM
I assume you mean a firmware update to the Yamaha right? Firmware updates to the new Apples can mean disappearing RAM.

If you used InTech CD/DVD SpeedTools 5.7, you could most likely boot from the Yamaha. You would have to disable the Apple driver which may or may not be a problem for your built-in DVD-ROM.