PDA

View Full Version : New CD/DVD SpeedTools

Louie
03-07-2001, 10:21 PM
Intech has just released v 5.7. See http://www.IntechUSA.com/

tm311
03-07-2001, 10:26 PM
I downloaded it earlier and am having trouble installing it.....it gives me a "restart with extensions off" msg.

Dogstarman
03-07-2001, 11:33 PM
Works fine for me on 2 machines. I will have to read up on it, but it now includes ATAPI digital playback. Or did it always and I am an ignorant weenie? Has anyone noticed tremendous performance gains by tweaking the streaming cache? I have gotten some good results with the directory cache. Just never fooled around with the streaming.

Louie
03-08-2001, 12:10 AM
They seem to say to leave streaming cache set at Auto.

The Atapi DA box is new.

Louie
03-08-2001, 12:11 AM
tm; maybe you got a bad download. Works fine for me.

kaye
03-08-2001, 11:24 AM
Doggy,

I have experimented with both on my Kenwood 52X TrueX SCSI. Settled on 4M for Directory Cache but could find no gains with Streaming Cache with any setting other than AUTO, testing with MB5 CD-ROM tests. k

Dogstarman
03-08-2001, 11:31 AM
Same thing here, K. I understand what the streaming cache settings should do, I just have never been able to get measurable gains....like you.

Any luck, tm?

zennman
03-08-2001, 06:00 PM
I'm seeing close to 100% increase in performance with 5.7 using a PTP and a Plextor 40x scsi. Getting about 2.7 mb/sec with 5.7 vs. 1.4 mb/sec digital audio extraction using 5.6. So now I can burn cd to cd at 12x. Nice.....

magician
03-08-2001, 06:13 PM
I just leave mine at defaults.

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

where's my beer...

tm311
03-08-2001, 07:09 PM
I tried several downloads and was not able to install until i pulled the actual installer out of the folder it unstuffed into, and ran it from the desktop.....strange but true*L*

Michael
03-09-2001, 02:20 PM
should never burn serious audio CDs faster than 4X. in fact, most audio pros burn them at 2X. anything over 4 introduces digital error rates. that might not be noticeable on lower end consumer electronics or your car stereo, but it sure is noticeable on high end gear. they also might not play in some machines. for data of course, 12X is fine.
just a small suggestion
M

kaye
03-09-2001, 04:46 PM
Michael,

I didn't know that. Guess I'll stick with 2x for audio burns. k

Michael
03-09-2001, 05:14 PM
if you're interested, i'll send you the documentation. actually, it really is a high end thing. though you may have noticed that audio CDs burned at a high rate are often very temperamental about what systems they will play back on. CD mastering decks all burn at 1X or tops 2X. for real.
M

dannemale
03-09-2001, 10:07 PM
Michael, maybe it's a stoopid question, but why is it that 12x would be fine for data but not for music? Does it have to do with the format of the CD whether it's for music or data?

tm311
03-09-2001, 10:48 PM
I retract my install success story..i checked my control panel and it was still 5.6. So i trashed everything to do with Speedtools (except the guide*L*) and took a copy of 5.6 and 5.7 from the FTP site....i was able to install 5.6 without a problem......but 5.7 gave me the same error....i even tried with extensions off and no luck......can i just copy the files out of the "extras" folder and be done with it? or do i need it to go thru the install? I had this same problem with 5.5,

kaye
03-09-2001, 11:10 PM
Michael,

You don't need to send me the docs, I'll just burn at 2x. k

Louie
03-10-2001, 12:03 AM
Copying the files should work. Be sure to change them all; CP, player in Apple Menu, Cache Monitor, Peripheral View, Manual, Read Me.

I can't imagine what you are doing. Are you using the password?

tm311
03-10-2001, 08:32 AM
Yes ..all i am doing is unstuffing the file with the password....installing the program....it runs thru all the steps and comes back with install error...so i tried pulling the installer to the desktop and running that ,,,,it goes thru the same steps and says that the install was a sucsess....only it never installs anthing.....who knows...but copyingt all the stuff seems to have worked.

kjay
03-10-2001, 11:47 AM
i'll pop something in here as the subject seems to fit. in burning music cd's is there right or wrong in choosing media? say platinum vs silver, etc, etc, etc. is there any one media that seems to perform better in standart retail cd players? just looking for some laymans info for a better burn.

thanks
kj

tm311
03-10-2001, 03:50 PM
Nashua makes a nice "audio only" media that seems to be the only cd-r that will play in my home theater DVD player.....i don't think there is any one media that will perform in every situation. As for my Install issue and the unmentioned "ton of crashing" i have been experiencing the past week, i updated my TTP and ran that on my raid as well as running NU on it....i got some VERY major problems that i think i have taken care of...first TTP told me i have Media failure and needed to back up and re-initialize...i found that to be a bit troubling so i went to NU and was told i have had major issues with allocation bits and a couple of other major things...i rebooted from NU and fixed all that and then booted from TTP and fixed everything.....i wonder how much of this is affecting my "crashing"....we'll see.

Louie
03-10-2001, 05:17 PM
tm:

It sounds like you need DiskWarrior!

Louie
03-10-2001, 05:27 PM
kjay:

Over the past couple of years I've read all sorts of things about CD media. There are theories, tests, suppositions, etc. about various dye colors, brands, ratings (1x-8x, 1x-12x, etc,). It seems the most important thing is the name brand and a rating to match your burn speed. I suspect that there are as many answers as questions.

tm311
03-10-2001, 05:36 PM
I have DW, Is that the " big daddy of directory bebuilding? I have never quite understood how best to use DW...is there more to it than rebooting and rebuilding the directory?

tm311
03-10-2001, 10:21 PM
By fixing all these problems i was also able to install speedtools without a hitch, and my computer has not crashed once .

kjay
03-10-2001, 11:10 PM
thanks for the info louie. what brought this up is all the burned cd's i make will not play in my highend onkyo dvd player that is only a year and a half old but will play in my ten year old alpine car deck.

i talked with a friend of mine today who works in a repair center specializing in audiophile equipment and his take was actuallly interesting. his theory is the same. different media will play/not play in different equipment without rhyme or reason. his basis for this was in the fact that production of commercial audio cd's is a chemical burn process using aluminum as the reflective layer (highly reflective). on the flip side alot of retail cd players have weak lasers or lasers that don't have enough oomph coupled with not so reflective cd media that equates into not being able to read.

all in all doesn't make me feel better but it does make sense. in my biz (car audio/electronics) i've seen a $1200 sony deck have trouble reading cdr's while a $150 cheapo work fine. go figure.

thanks for the podium
kj

Mas
03-11-2001, 12:00 AM
I don't have this yet,

What about DVD-RAM read/write support ?
(G4's ATAPI Internel DVD-RAM)

Any speed gain? or am I talking about something out of target?

Thanks

Louie
03-11-2001, 12:58 AM
Yes tm:

I've seen DW repair drives that nothing else could fix. Version 2.1 has been out about two months and has a few extra tricks.

tm311
03-11-2001, 08:15 AM
OFF TOPIC:

Kjay...what do you do in the Car Audio Biz?? I have been a car Audiophile for ever.....currently in kind of limbo for the past year or so while i build my Home Theater.....but i do all my own work on my Honda Accord....Clarion9255 deck with an Xtant 3300 powering Image Dynamic Chameleons and a pair of Eclipse 8810's.....heres a link to my old car....
http:// w3.sounddomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?SID=0cZ1B2IrDFImNCorLw__&page_id=4076&make_type_query=make=Ford&model_brand_query=model=Contour&tree=Ford%20Contour (http://w3.sounddomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?SID=0cZ1B2IrDFImNCorLw__&page_id=4076&make_type_query=make=Ford&model_brand_query=model=Contour&tree=Ford%20Contour)

[This message has been edited by tm311 (edited 11 March 2001).]

kjay
03-11-2001, 01:28 PM
tm,

i manage a installation bay for a company called CarToys in Portland, OR. they can be found in OR, WA, CO and now TX. been in the biz since the mid eighties. looks like you know what the good stuff is. unfortunately we don't carry some of those lines but that clarion deck is one of my all time favs. there is just way too much cool electronic stuff out there nowadays and my pocket book is feelin it.

on the cdr thing my buddy got me thinkin. i went through all my burned discs and my dvd player will play all the ones on platinum media (memorex). i guess i have now found the answer to my own question on what type of media to use.

kj

eclou
03-11-2001, 07:50 PM
Intech CDST 5.7 has a conflict with iMovie 2.01 on my computer (PCenter 150 with Newer G3/500, OS 9.0.4, FW 2.5, Canon ZR-10 DV). No camera is recognized but no audio/video get to the computer. I had to go back to 5.6 to restore function.

Eugene Lou

Louie
03-11-2001, 09:03 PM
I don't use iMovie. Maybe someone else can try that.

magician
03-12-2001, 03:29 AM
a stupid question for an expert in your field, kj:

(and yes, I am one of those guys who instantly gets stupid when I lift a car hood).

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

any way to use one of those remote engine starting devices with a manual trannie vehicle? As long as you leave the vehicle in neutral, with the parking brake set, you're ok, right? You don't have to have an automatic trannie do you? I mean one of those kits that enables you to push a button on your remote and fire up your car. They are used so you don't have to walk out to the garage to warm up your car in the morning, and just in case someone installed a bomb wired to the ignition.

do you guys install stuff like that? How about custom GPS stuff, and radio scanners? Got anything that makes it possible to put a cellular phone in a cradle and then talk hands-free, with your hands on the wheel and the stick, with the sound coming out the sound system speakers?

This would definitely be worth a trip to OR for me. I need to go eat steamed clams in Silverside, anyway. It's been awhile.

BDAqua
03-12-2001, 04:41 AM
Tried iMovie 2.03 yet?

eclou
03-12-2001, 12:10 PM
I have not gone to iMovie 2.03 b/c it require 9.1, and for some reason I had mentally made a note I could not go to 9.1 because of a conflict in I had read about. I have a PowerCenter 150 with Newer G3/500, Umax Vista SCSI scanner, ProFormance III+ video card, FWDepot USB/FW card, Formac ProRaid I UltraSCSI card. Something in there was supposedly crabby with OS 9.1.

Eugene Lou

kaye
03-12-2001, 12:24 PM
magician, http://www.JCwhitney.com/catsubpic.jhtml;$sessionid$GPJGFYIAAAD2TWBBJB2SMFW YEFEHSJYG?CATID=3236 and it looks like everything is for auto trans, otherwise my wife would defeat that manual trans idea in a second. k

Dogstarman
03-12-2001, 12:55 PM
Can't find any info backing up the CDST 5.7/iMovie 2 conflict. Still looking.

But Magician...I think you are pretty much out of luck. Remote starters are all digital. They require electronic fuel injection and an automatic because they have no way to "sense" what gear the car is in without tying into several other parts of the ignition harness that they normally wouldn't have to. Like the clutch sensors. And then (even if you got around that) they couldn't press the gas pedal. So they couldn't "pump it" a couple times to get it started or recover from a stutter. I have a life-long mechanic checking in on it (Thanks, Dad!), and I should know almost for sure later today.

kaye
03-12-2001, 03:30 PM
Have you tried sending the wife out there to put it in neutral, pump the gas pedal, and crank it up?

I got a whip here you can use. Or did House Goddess take it away from me? k

Dogstarman
03-12-2001, 05:18 PM
I heard somewhere (MacFixit maybe) that when you install the Wife-Remote with any version of Lazy-Husband you induce a variant of the AutoStart virus leading to terrible hardware AND software incompatibilities. I think it is only resolved by a low-level initialization and a clean install of the OS.

kaye
03-12-2001, 06:15 PM
Yeah, that fixes you, but good. That does absolutely nothing for wife-remote. They are impervious to any of those mentioned utilities. k

Dogstarman
03-12-2001, 06:37 PM
I love tangents. So, Mag, my Pops says that you can indeed use a remote-start kit with a manual trans, so long as you have a good electrician/mechanic and electronic fuel injection. You will have to bypass the clutch pedal safety device, and that is a dicey thing to do. But you can make it work. You would basically be wiring it to tell the car that the clutch is always engaged. That would trick the remote-start into thinking it was more like an automatic. Hope that helps you out a bit.

tm311
03-12-2001, 10:56 PM
It is indeed possible to add a remote starter to a manual transmision . You need to build a safety feature into the installation, not available on some cars(not all) using certain(again...not all) remote starters,so that it will not start the vehicle if it is not in neutral. Having seen some installers that are "guru's" and some that are "not" it would be in your best interest to remind your "installer" of your fondness of driveing around late at night with little or no sleep waving guns much larger than any civilian should be allowed by law to carry....i mean just in case he was copnfused by which "relay" he needed and where in the system it should go*S* (So as to encourage him to ASK if unsure!!!!)

Dogstarman
03-12-2001, 11:11 PM
True. That's kinda what I was getting at. Nice images, though. Downright haunting. But the tricky thing is getting the throttle body to respond, unless you have the EFI. Otherwise, I think the remote starter would kill itself if a manual throttle vehicle stalled. Imagine that. It would keep trying to start it, but it never would. I realize it would run on a short ignition signal pulse. But it wouldn't start. COuld be a sure-fire way to kill a battery.

I like the idea of a garage, myself. Setup with a block-warmer. Yeah, that's the ticket. Then the lovely lady in your life wouldn't hate you as much if you asked her kindly for a morning start. http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

kjay
03-13-2001, 02:10 AM
magician,

yes you can indeed install a remote start on a manual transmission. the company i work for has decided not to do it any more due to liablility and peoples' innate ability to sue while starting their car in gear via a remote.

the main issue is fuel injection. anything other becomes tricky and varies car to car. as for the manual question, Clifford, now owned by DEI, makes a couple alarms specifically designed to remote start manuals. in order to remote start you must go through a ritual upon leaving the car or it won't start via remote. basically forcing you to leave it in nuetral. everyone i've ever known with a remote start manual has had an incident. no matter how careful you are, there will always be a day when you launch your car into the garage. it's just plain odds.

i tried to get the links for you but couldn't pull up their web site. go to www.directed.com (http://www.directed.com) and search for clifford alarms specifically looking for the avantegard4 or the solaris alarms. these are the only ones i know of specifically designed for manuals. you can even set them up for - temperature or - voltage starts.

as for the rest, we carry 4 different gps nav systems and the alpine dvd nav is by far and away the best. they have 2 models. http://www.alpine1.com/html/D2_n_1_n_n.html. As for the cellular hands free through the stereo, some model stereos have the ability but most don't. you can always build something though. hell, you can get in car dvd and dolby 5.1 processors. never been a more wild time.

in the case of heading to portland, i would fully endorse such a venture. i love this town. it the biggest little city i know of. not to mention a bazillion killer restaraunts.

as these beers have made me lethargic i must move on.

later
kj

zennman
03-14-2001, 01:11 AM
Okay back to the subject on hand. I successfully installed 5.7 on a PTP. With the same installer on a PC180, it does not install the updated control panel. It stays at 5.6. I will manually drag the parts to where they need to be, but I think this 5.7 installer could be flawed.

magician
03-14-2001, 04:28 AM
ok....I am psyched.

how about satellite radio?

can you guys install satellite radio, a killer (but not hip-hop) set of speakers, a broadband scanner, a hidden or disguised radar detector/jammer, GPS, and remote autostart unit for me? And make it look and work perfect? How about lights bright enough to light an improvised landing field?

I am considering the manual versus auto implications of autostart....should I be doomed to use a manual.....and if I install all this in a Hummer, I will be....I will of course sign all manner of waivers absolving you and yours of liability in the event I launch my four-wheeled beast thru the garage wall.

I'm actually getting a little psyched about this. I will need it when I move to Montana.

kjay
03-14-2001, 11:07 AM
here's a side question. anyone try to make itunes 1.1 coexist with cdst in relation to burning discs. been using toast up until know but would be nice to one step those play lists. it seems that whenever the authoring files/drivers are in the extension folder for itunes my cd drives go into a terminal rok m sok m match when trying to play audio. have to restart to get out of it.

magician...

movin to montana, what a lucky dog. what part if you don't mind? just got back from a huge road swing myself. sandpoint ID, whitefish, glacier, havre and chico hotsprings. loved it. figuring how to go back again. actually this beige g3 i've been building for a friend lives in havre. might have to hand deliver.

as for the rest of your post, yes. pioneer and alpine make xm ready (satellite radio) decks. speakers, certainly. scanners, don't carry any but can certainly install them. radar/laser detector, you bet - K40 makes one of the best i know of, with laser jamming plus they'll pay you tickets for a year. remote start, so i take it you rig is a hummer with manual? if so i'd have to check and get higher approval. corporate america.

mag, or anybody else for that matter, need or want more info on this stuff feel free to email me or we can continue to talk under the guise of sys software or anyother forum.

enjoy
kj

[This message has been edited by kjay (edited 14 March 2001).]

magician
03-15-2001, 06:07 AM
not certain, yet. The easy choice would be outside Bozeman, but....land is much cheaper around Helena. We'll see. It'll be isolated, where ever I end up.

batmantis00
03-15-2001, 06:45 AM
umm i dont know if this is a tangent or not. it relates to what people were talking about earlier in the forum about cd-r media. go here:
http://www.cd-recordable.com

its sort of a self proclaimed cd-r gurus site, if youll excuse the analogy. i havent compared their media to other peoples so i wont all out vouch for them, but ive used it since i got my plextor and have had pretty good success with it. they manufacture their media themselves-its high quality and competitively priced, and they have some faqs on the subject of discussion here.

while im at it, ill include a quote from their site:

Q: What color CD-R media is best (green on gold, silver on blue, purple on tangerine, Etc.) ?

A: Trying to classify and grade discs by color is a hopeless (and pointless) cause. Making generalizations which relate colors to quality is not the way to select CD-R media that will work well for you. It’s like saying "I owned a red car once and it was always breaking down, I’ll never buy a red car again. My friend’s blue car always runs well, I better buy a blue car from now on".

There are companies who make great discs with a particular type of dye. And other companies who use the same dye, but their processes are way out of spec and their discs don’t record. The same applies to gold, silver, and platinum. Two companies may use gold, but one company makes a great disc, and the other makes junk.

Finally, there are some companies who print gold or silver colored ink layers on the top of their discs. This layer has nothing to do with the record/playback functions of the disc, but many people say "only those discs with the gold top work for me" when in essence, the disc is a silver metallized disc with gold ink on top of that.

To prove that color has very little bearing in reality, lets take the popular "green on gold" configuration. This is going to come as a surprise for an awful lot of people, but THOSE DISCS ARE NOT COATED WITH GREEN CD-R DYE !

When you metallize BLUE CD-R dye with gold, guess what color it appears as . . . that's right, GREEN. Want to prove it for yourself ? Next time you have a gold/green CD-R fail, take a razor blade (please don't cut yourself) and carefully peel away the gold metallized upper surface of the disc (leaving the dye layer intact). Look at the green side of the disc with a white sheet of paper behind it and you'll see, it's blue. Can we all now stop believing this myth that has existed since the invention of this technology ?

When it comes to CD-R quality and compatibility, differences between media have much more to do with a manufacturer's processes, the master used, what raw materials they happen to be using that week, and their quality control. Differences in color of dye or metallization mean far less. The only true indicator of quality is what works well for you with your hardware (recorder and players).

Remember though, most brands do not even manufacture their own media. They buy media from whichever no-name manufacturer gives them the best deal, and then package it with their own brand name. You may find a brand that seems to work for you, and a week later, their discs are from another factory and are completely non-functional. This is one of the factors that has caused so much mis-information, confusion, and aggrevation among you, the customers of this industry.

Test some different brands (including ours) and see which work (and stick with those - whether our brand's in that group or not). What works well for one person does not always work well for someone else. Your best bet is to always disregard color (because in reality, it means VERY VERY little), and judge brands solely on how they perform in your drive(s). It’s much more realistic to say "I owned a Yugo once and it was always breaking down, I’ll never buy a car made by Yugo again"

One thing you can be certain of with our brand of media is that it will always come from the same factory, and we will always use the same raw materials, buy the best raw materials we can buy, and maintain stable manufacturing processes and stringent quality control. There is no other brand of CD-R media that can make that statement. Not one.

[This message has been edited by batmantis00 (edited 15 March 2001).]

magician
03-16-2001, 06:00 AM
whoa, batman....that almosts sounds as if it were lifted from somewhere deep on the Gurus site!

I'll have to check it out over the weekend....how does their pricing, etc., compare?

should we consider a relationship?

batmantis00
03-16-2001, 03:42 PM
like i said, i havent done much testing to compare their stuff with other peoples, but ive used it and any problems ive had are a result of my burner not their media. they certainly have a wide selection of media to choose from too. 80minute cd-r, purple,amber, red, and black (like playstation) cd-r. the credit card cds. all the cool stuff. so yeah, id guess id have to say im pretty fond of them. they arent the cheapest on the market, but if you buy in bulk you can get the standard cd-r for as low as 39 cents each. right now a 50 pack goes for $29.

kjay
03-16-2001, 07:11 PM
i checked out the cdr site that batmantis mentioned. seemed pretty cool and they also seem to back their product. hell, i'd consider it just cause' of the cool colors. seems my earlier theory got blown out of the water and partly validates batmantis' link. my "platinum" cdr's are batin' about 50% on the home player. it most of the time it sees the disk but won't play, other times won't even see the disk and ofcourse sometimes it even actually plays it.

has anyone known burn speed to affect a player being able to read? i did the disks at 8x off the hd (using a yamaha 8/4/24 ultra) with itunes. perhaps i'll try 2x tonight and see what happens. i'll definately give batmantis' site a try as well.

magician, i firmly believe that anywhere in montana would be cool. i'm a tad more partial to the nw area on the west side of glacier. my fiance' thinks we should move to the jellystone area. on the satellite radio thing, seems there will be 2 competing services. xm and cirus. i believe cirus will actually be commercial free and xm will have like 5-10 m/hr. alpine and pioneer are backing xm and kenwood is backing cirus. i think these systems are supposed to come online this summer. i myself would pay a small monthly fee to get 100 commercial free digital quality stations. hate commercials.

thanks and appreciate the info everybody.

kj

batmantis00
03-16-2001, 07:31 PM
according to Michael who posted in Forum Talkback:Burning Issues, burn speed should not affect a players ability to read the disc. faster burns are more likely to make errors, but that would cause an instantaneous variation in the sound output. but burning faster doesnt make a less pronounced burn in the substrate that would be harder to read. just the occasional 1 when you want a 0 and vice versa.

ps. mag- pretty much anywhere in south central or southeast alaska beats out all of montana as a good place to live. its greener, the mountains are prettier, and the weather is better year round-summers are cooler and winters are more moderate, and much less windy. not to mention the fishing.

the_anarch
03-16-2001, 09:04 PM
Ooh! Ooh! My turn to play Sir Links-a-lot! http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Here are some other online sites that at least give the appearance of being pretty comprehensive in selling all things cd-r (although many of them seem to be simply worshipping at the Mitsui altar):
http://www.synthemedia.com --- http://www.media-supply.com --- http://www.mediastore.com --- http://www.cdexpress.com --- http://www.cd-r.com --- http://www.dsrinc.com

Mitsui themselves has no fewer than three websites devoted to their media:
http://www.mitsuigold.com --- http://www.mitsuicdr.com --- http://www.mitsuicdrstore.com

It's interesting to see how some FAQ's go to great lengths to explain the issue of CD-R dyes, and are in opposition to what the folks at CD-Recordable.com said:
http://www.synthemedia.com/mtc/mtcframeOVR.html --- http://www.mitsuicdrstore.com/Dyes.htm --- http://www.mitsuicdrstore.com/silver&gold.htm

Here's one resource that might have more objective information: http://www.cd-r.com/6561406/en/library.html

And it has several links to other articles and resources, including these: http://www.cdrinfo.com --- http://www.fadden.com/cdrfaq/ --- http://www.cdrwcentral.com/

I don't know how much stuff of any value will be found at these places, but hey, information never hurts.

PS I downloaded the CD/DVD SpeedTools updater last night but haven't installed it yet. I'll keep ya posted.

[This message has been edited by the_anarch (edited 16 March 2001).]

magician
03-18-2001, 07:08 AM
batman, I've been looking at Alaska....and I am partial to it if only because I actually watched the Aurora Borealis one night outside Fairbanks.....I guess the reason I haven't considered it more strongly is because I'm afraid I'll have to pay $1 each for eggs. I remember back in the '80's that certain things were wicked expensive up there.

I also remember the Alaskan Bush Company fondly.

how are land prices, though? I may need to rethink this whole thing.

batmantis00
03-18-2001, 07:43 AM
umm, i dont know off the top of my head. i would really like to get some land around mccarthy to make use of later on in life, but i guess its pretty expensive-but thats because there enough people that think its going to eventually become a tourist trap. right now, you have to drive 300 miles to chitna, a little fishing town, and then another 70 miles of dirt road with pot holes for breaking axles before you come to a river. if you want to get a car across the river you have to drive across when its frozen. needless to say, there arent many tourists trapped yet. there is a footbridge now, but only a few years ago there was only a little cable car that you had to hand crank to get across. it broke and the locals were going to fix it, but the state said they couldnt put it back up and gave them money to build a bridge-thinking they would make a bridge one could drive across. the residents are of the opinion, however, that if you arent willing to drive across a frozen river you dont deserve to have a car in mccarthy, so they used the money to build a footbridge. its the nicest footbridge youve ever seen, made with centercut logs and a concrete foundation worthy of an LA overpass, but its not wide enough for two people to walk side by side, let alone fit a motor vehicle. they have a bar, a liquor store and a pizza parlor. thats it, all the other buildings are either mini prefabs the guide companies use in the summer or residences. they got plenty of alcohol, but if you want groceries you gotta go back to wasilla (300 miles away.)

fortunately, though, (usually) the further from civilization you get the cheaper it is. dont plan on going north though. the northern lifghts are cool, but everything further north than fairbanks is pretty desolate.

prices in anchorage have gotten to be decent...groceries are more than in the rest of the US, but not more than by 10 percent or so. i worked for the census bureau in kotzebue (just inside the arctic circle, north of nome) for a week or so though last year. that was interesting. milk was $6 a gallon, and when it passed the expiration date it went on sale for half off. the fact that village life is boring as hell and american natives are not very tolerant of alcohol, there is a high rate of alcoholism here. as often as once a month during the winter in places like kotz someone passes out drunk on the side of the road and is found in the morning frozen to death.

for various reasons it felt like a few blocks of tijuana (not the fun ones) had been transported north about 5000 miles.

four wheelers and snow machines outnumber cars about 4 to 1

anyway, a good place to look for land is the southern half of the kenai peninsula somewhere outside of soldotna or homer, the land opposite the peninsula on the other side of the cook inlet, and in the south east around juneau (but not to close to juneau).

[This message has been edited by batmantis00 (edited 18 March 2001).]

the_anarch
03-18-2001, 01:12 PM
Magician,

Just get a hovercraft and that'll take care of any problematic frozen- or non-frozen-river-crossing issues.

batmantis00
03-18-2001, 09:03 PM
realize that most of the 150 or so McCarthaginians carry fire arms at all times (strictly for bear protection of course---lol) and dont take kindly to new-fangled devices like hovercraft.

the_anarch
03-19-2001, 01:24 AM
How many Alaskans do we have on these forums, anyway?

batmantis00
03-19-2001, 06:23 AM
scribble and i. there could very well be others, but im not aware of them, or atleast not aware they live in ak.

magician
03-20-2001, 08:34 AM
hey, you never know when an angry bear might show up. Better safe than sorry.

well....I hate to say it, but maybe I need to investigate....Canada?

RedPhoenix
03-20-2001, 10:54 AM
As a Canadian myself, I advise you to rule out Quebec and Alberta(debts/taxes)... http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

And Nunavut (which is even more deserted than Alaska)...

And the Maritimes... Would you believe a politician up here actually said that if Canada wanted to be "economically efficient" <snicker>, they should encourage/force people to desert the Maritimes because there aren't enough worthwhile jobs there to make the area viable?

Statistically speaking, he's right. The Maritimes *are* somewhat of an economic black hole, especially since all the fish and sea products are dead/dying/gone. The area is still beautiful, if only touristically, though.

Try convincing all those Maritimers to leave and you'd have a revolution, hehehe... http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/eek.gif

I hear Vancouver is fairly nice. http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

RP

[This message has been edited by RedPhoenix (edited 20 March 2001).]

Louie
03-20-2001, 03:02 PM
The Maratime Provinces' ports saved the Brits' collective asses in WW II.

Michael
03-20-2001, 10:30 PM
cape breton highlands is one of the most beautiful areas in the world. the rolling mountains spilling into the atlantic. the top is a plateau with native wolves and caribou. the trout are a salmon hybrid with red flesh.
think maine crossed with norway. no way to make a living however, unless you're on the net and can use satellite.

M

batmantis00
03-20-2001, 11:34 PM
ive caught trout with pink flesh (that happens when they are a few years old), but ive never heard of salmon cross breeds. thats interesting. are they big like steelhead?

magician
03-21-2001, 12:39 AM
that sounds about right, Michael....

what province is right above Montana? (Yes, I know I could look at a map. I figure I'll talk to actual Canadians, since we're all hanging out here).

the thing that struck me most about Vancouver is how clean it was. As soon as I crossed the border back into Washington, one of America's prettier states, btw, I was dismayed at the amount of garbage cluttering the sides of the highway. Canada was pristine. No trash.

you guys are doing something right up there, IMO.

batmantis00
03-21-2001, 06:25 AM
yeah, the canadians have road construction figured out too. i drove from anchorage to LA a couple years ago. there was construction from wasilla all the way to the boarder, then once i crossed i only saw one more patch or road work being done for the rest of the trip-and the roads in canada were much smoother. also, your cops are way more friendly.

ChrisYip
03-21-2001, 08:18 AM
Hmm - above Montana? - that would be either Alberta or Saskatchewan I think... our provinces are pretty darn wide.. Ontario alone spans Minnesota, Michigan, Ohio, New York...and a little bit of Illinois

Chris

the_anarch
03-21-2001, 02:44 PM
A little bit of Illinois? How?

West-to-east your US-bordering provinces are BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick.

Michael
03-21-2001, 08:31 PM
if canada's all that, then why not give us a break on nafta?
M

magician
03-22-2001, 09:03 AM
good question.

if we cut the Mexicans in, why not the Canadians? The only reason I can see is, you guys are being asked to suffer so the lower Americas can fund their dictator retirement funds, stuff like that.

I had to stop defending US policy a long, long time ago. Right before I resigned from government service.

batmantis00
03-22-2001, 08:07 PM
yeah, were led to believe people hate americans because were ass holes. we are, but thats not why. we have one of the most evil and self serving governments in the world (north korea has got us beat). hmmm...accidently bomb the chinese embassy? i dont think so. we dropped five bombs on five buildings. the middle, main building was several stories high and had a basement. the bomb dropped on that building was specifically designed to only explode when it hit the bottom floor, for maximum damage. its because the spy plane that went down over there was probably shot by the chinese. their the only country left with the intelligence infrastructure to know where that plane was to shoot it down. so getting back at the chinese is fine, but bombing a building that had as many civilians as government employees isnt a method i approve of.

likewise, the whole free trade thing clinton was trying to negotiate with them sucks. good for the american economy, because we can market useless crap to a billion and a half people without tariffs, but hardly a good thing for china. more like imperialism all over again.

that was something that was eye opening to me while i was in china. the people there loved americans. that was shocking in and of itself-i hadnt seen that in any other country-but they were deathly afraid of the US. the kind of fear we had of the soviet union during the nuclear scare. im sure the communist propaganda had alot to do with it, but its not unfounded. the fact that civilians in other countries see america as something to be afraid of isnt something im proud of.