PDA

View Full Version : OS 9.1 snafu

LVX
03-17-2001, 05:57 PM
I've been trying to install OS 9.1 off the CD on my PowerBook G3 but keep running into an impasse. It seems to install w/o a hitch, but when I restart I see the OS 9.1 logo & it appears to be loading, yet the progress bar stops about a tenth of the way through & just stops. This happens even when I boot up with the extensions off. The cursor on my mouse is still active, so I know it's not a freeze. I've tried doing a "Custom install" as well as an "Easy install" & the result is still the same; it just stops cold during the bootup process. I know OS 9.1 will run on my PB because I already had it installed after running the free update. But I needed to do a clean install & that's why I decided to install it off the CD. So what could be going on here? Any ideas &/or suggestions?

LVX

Dogstarman
03-17-2001, 07:17 PM
OK. First question. Do any disk utilities report anything wacky? What have you used to check your drive? Have you tried it with no peripherals plugged in externally? Are there any items plugged in normally (if so, what?)? OK. That's good for a start for me.

LVX
03-17-2001, 10:15 PM
I've run DiskWarrior & Norton Utilities & nothing too strange was reported. And, yes, I'm running a # of USB peripherals, all of which are still connected to the machine. In fact, since posting here I've been informed that somebody else had this same problem w/ OS 9.1, but after disconnecting his USB device the problem went away. I'll try this when I get back to my PB & report back w/ the results.

LVX
03-18-2001, 07:22 AM
After disconnecting all my USB devices & then doing a Clean Install, the problem has vanished!

Dogstarman
03-19-2001, 01:01 AM
Well, I know that is not necessarily a good thing. But at least you have made progress. Tried plugging them in one by one and see if things hang at one peripheral? I assume you are hubbed? Are all your items on a hub?