PDA

View Full Version : Disappearing Apple Menu Items

the_anarch
03-13-2001, 09:10 PM
Well, I must be going for today's award for Most Annoyingly Prolific Question Poser.

So I've got this weird thing happening. I installed OS 8.6 on my office Mac (a 6100) awhile ago, onto its only drive which is external. In the time since then I've used that external drive to get a couple of other computers going by copying the system folder over to a machine's internal hard drive, usually because I hadn't hooked up a CD-ROM drive yet.

In each of those machines there is this strange problem. Most of the time, under the Apple Menu, all items except two disappear: The About This Computer command, and a folder I have in the Apple Menu Items folder that contains a bunch of aliases, called Applications. The only way I can make all the items reappear is to open and close the Apple Menu Options control panel. I've tried trashing the Apple Menu Options prefs, but the problem always reappears.

What do yall think?

crazyeights
03-16-2001, 02:43 AM
resource amnesia syndrome for sure. Archie, go to the vet and get some of that pink shit for doggies they claim is penicillin. That special pain in the ass video "pigtail" was specially designed to enable antibiotic uptake.

10ml should do the trick.

Arch, you know better than to do a system install that way. Hold your hand out....and we'll all take turns slapping it.

Actually, resource amnesia syndrome is probably not far from the truth.

Mag probably knows the technical answer to your problem, but he'll probably just slap your hand...............

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

the_anarch
03-16-2001, 12:10 PM
Well, I'm not going to argue that point with you, but even if my having done a no-no by just dragging the system folder over was the culprit for the disappearing items, that wouldn't explain why it's also happening on the system that I originally installed, right from the CD.

However, I will now update this by saying that I went back and re-deleted the Apple Menu Options Prefs file, and then went back into that control panel and turned off the Remember Recent Items option. That option had not been on before, but I think I once saw that it had mysteriously somehow come on by itself. It's been OK for the past couple of days. We'll see if it lasts.

magician
03-18-2001, 07:10 AM
heck, you got me.

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif