PDA

View Full Version : Resizing partitions without destroying data

meistersinger
01-31-2001, 03:20 PM
Is there a utility, similar to Partition Magic under WinBlows, that will let me resize HFS+ partitions?

jorge
01-31-2001, 03:48 PM
There is a Mac utility out there. It maybe on the ftp site. Lets see if anyone knows the name.

j

magician
01-31-2001, 06:59 PM
uh....far better to simply backup, reinitialize, partition, then restore.

much safer.

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

TZ
02-17-2001, 09:30 AM
Once you have Silverlining Pro or PowerTools, you can. It will even move the data so you don't need to deal with SpeedDisk (6.0). You can also take a partition and create two partitions - losing anything there but w/o having to initialize an entire drive.

HDT4 has some, but I have to say that the graphic display and interface of Power Tools makes it easy to use and to see what is happening. Plus, there are two warnings and progress bar.

Also, in the OS X PB there is a Disk Utility 1.0 with Drive Setup 2.x that looks similar in being able to resize, sub-divide partitions, etc.

Never realized when using HD Speedtools why I didn't like it - until I realized how much I missed Silverlining's interface and easy it is. ADC News 2/16 mentions that APS PowerTools 6.4 is now 9.1 compliant.

Gregory

[This message has been edited by Gregory (edited 18 February 2001).]

Louie
02-17-2001, 02:20 PM
If you have a disk formatter that will do it, you can first use Norton Speed Disk to move all data to the "front" of the disk, leaving space for another partition.

MacMikester
02-21-2001, 02:28 AM
FWB Hard Disk Toolkit will do it, following the method that Louie outlines.