PDA

View Full Version : RAM Disk as startup disk on G3?

wannalearnmoreonmymac
02-16-2001, 04:43 PM
Is there any way to use a RAM Disk as the startup system disk on a G3? I can't get it to work and I'm told there's no way because Apple changed things starting with G3 Macs and the power is cut off for too long on restart. But someone just told me there is an extension called 'durable RAM Disk' or something like that which might allow you to do it. Is that baloney or is there some way to do it? The idea is to get my G3/350 B&W to run at warp speed without having to shell out the bucks for a RAID, which I can't afford anyway.

Thanks for any help,

WLMOMM

kaye
02-16-2001, 05:10 PM
There is a program called ramBunctious which I believe will allow saving to disk for shutdown or reboot. k

wannalearnmoreonmymac
02-16-2001, 05:28 PM
I already tried ramBunctious. It cannot be used as a startup disk. But the main problem is that the power is cut off from the ram on restart on G3 Macs and later. That's what I need to somehow overcome. Thanks for the input.

WLMOMM

jorge
02-16-2001, 07:57 PM
They only way that can work is if the program copies the system folder to the ram disk on startup then boots from it.

Or, the machine is never shut down but rather put to sleep. The Powerbooks have a preserve ram on sleep which copies the contents of ram to the hard drive. When the computer is awaken, it restores the contents back into ram.

j

wannalearnmoreonmymac
02-16-2001, 08:52 PM
jorge,

It sounds like your explanation is getting closer to how a solution might be found, at least it gives me a better understanding. I'm pretty low tech. But I need a SPECIFIC solution, like WHICH PROGRAM will do what you said on startup or restart, so the active system folder is on a RAM Disk and runs at warp speed?

As best as I can remember, before the G3 there was no powerdown on restart. You could put a system folder on the RAM disk, select the RAM disk as the startup disk, and restart. The hard drive would not slow down and the restart process would begin immediately. It doesn't work that way anymore. I'm sure not just me but all the Mac speed demons would greatly benefit from a solution to this problem, short of having to buy a monster RAID, which I can't afford at the moment.

Thanks,

WLMOMM

magician
02-17-2001, 03:40 PM
my understanding is that that functionality was discontinued with the ROM-in-RAM machines. I have booted off a RAM Disk in beast many times...in fact, I've run for extended periods that way. It cannot be done with a newer ROM-in-RAM machine. It just isn't supported any longer.

my understanding is that those third-party (not Apple) utilities which save the contents of a RAM Disk to a drive do so for purposes of data backup, that sort of thing.

wannalearnmoreonmymac
02-17-2001, 04:53 PM
Thanks Magician for the info. I guess that burst my bubble on that idea.

What about PowerMacs like 9600 or 8600 with a G3 or G4 upgrade card? Could you boot from a RAM disk with a machine like that?

Thanks,

WLMOMM

Dogstarman
02-17-2001, 07:29 PM
Yes, you can. Beast is a 9600 upgraded to the hilt.. I have run for a little while off of a 9600 (G3) and a 7600 (G3) with RAM disks as the boot volume. But with my typical System folder clocking in at around 200MB, that's a lot of RAM to eat for a boost in speed that (IMHO) just ain't that much faster than striped Cheetahs, and certainly is not reliable if things go awry. As they often do.

magician
02-18-2001, 06:03 PM
DogSM, I couldn't agree more.

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif