PDA

View Full Version : What the heck is this about "ObjectSupportLib

Dogstarman
01-25-2001, 11:36 PM
I was working tonight on my 9600 when I got a freeze. Rare occurence. I restarted and got this message at the desktop after everything loaded just fine (no clock or icons, but extensions and desktop pics):

"The Finder could not start up because a problem occurred initializing the following system library:

>>ObjectSupportLib<<

To start up, use the CD or floppy disks that came with your computer."

With a neat little Restart button and nothing else. It restarts with OS9CD and all my files seem fine. The disk checks out with DFA and DW. But I cannot restart now. There is no such extension anywhere on any disk I have. Do I suddenly need this troublesome extension?

I am beginning more and more to crave a new Mac. Not that they are trouble-free....but all these upgrades have to be a gamble.

[This message has been edited by Dogstarman (edited 25 January 2001).]

Louie
01-26-2001, 12:11 AM
The Object Support Library was incorporated into the system way back about OS 8.1 or so. If you also run it as an extension, it can screw the pooch. There have been warnings for years. Some of the slower software companies still include it in their installs. Search out the extension and destroy it! Use sherlock if you have to.

[This message has been edited by Louie (edited 25 January 2001).]

Dogstarman
01-26-2001, 12:50 AM
It ain't there!! Nowhere. I searched high and low. That's the ddistressing part!!!! It's a system-level alert box I get, before anything else loads (ie, desktop icons, volumes, appletalk, etc). WEird. I tried Sherlock, and I also rooted around looking for anything that looked suspect. I would hate to resort to a reinstall, as I just did this a couple weeks ago due to a G3 card problem and corruptiop. Thanks, Louie for the help. I read an older post of yours (December?) telling tales about OSL and its nastiness. So, anyone else have some ideas? What tries to use it? I get the error message even with all extension off.

Louie
01-26-2001, 01:06 AM
Maybe your system is porked and it can't find that library. Run TechTool 2.2.1 (freeware) to analyze your system. If you get the skull and crossbones it will say what resources are flakey.

If you have a backup, just trash the system resources and copy fresh ones over (after you test the backup).

Dogstarman
01-26-2001, 03:44 PM
Backup is fine and installed on the problem drive. All is well, now. But it's just a weird set of circumstances to have the OS asking for something it doesn't even install anymore. I guess this is one of those things that gets written off as, well, flaky. Thanks for the time, Louie.

Louie
01-26-2001, 04:12 PM
Did TechTool show the original system porked?

magician
01-26-2001, 06:21 PM
sounds like your system file got hosed, somehow.

very weird.

what's in the Startup Items folder?

Dogstarman
01-27-2001, 02:38 PM
Nothing in the startup items folder. I hate having things there. I like to launch stuff after the desktop comes alive all by myself. TT didn't show a florfed system. So I wrote it off and once again thanked the Great One for a backup plan. The best laid plans of mice and men....well, this one seems to be working, anyways. Thanks folks!!