PDA

View Full Version : Good CAD program

goliveira
01-18-2001, 04:09 PM
I am looking for a good CAD program. Still have a copy of Claris CAD! Something reasonable. Anyone use a CAD program or know of a good one?

DenebaCAD looks good.

George

Dogstarman
01-18-2001, 04:13 PM
One of the myriad of things I messed around with in HS was CAD. We used exclusively Windows/AutoCAD. Understandable. But after college, I worked as a union ironworker, and the fab shop we were affiliated with ran both Mac and Win. They used DenebaCAD extensively for CAD detailing. But it depends on your particular needs. What exactly are you looking to do? Is this a pro outfit or something you do to help you out with other projects? Sounds weird, but I use basic CAD stuff all the time. If it's more of a pro level interest, I have a few recommendations for you, depending on your field and requirements.

goliveira
01-18-2001, 07:18 PM
well, I use Freehand and can do some pretty amasing stuff. Just learned that program well and used it for basically everything (yes, drafting letters as well). Have BBedit now.

A co-worker wants a CAD program for layouts and machine design.

I ordered the demo of DenebaCAD as well as Vectorworks. Wondered if anyone had a specific package that was kick ass. Always like to have some infield input.

Thanks,
George

Dogstarman
01-18-2001, 08:22 PM
Most of my experience was in larger scale things...not machine design. Hospitals, commercial, bridges, that kind of thing. My firm used a lot of stress-engineering SW, so that limits me to saying... yep...DenebaCAD is a decent, fairly easy-to-learn piece of SW. Never used VW, but it comes highly recommended.

EGPoulin
01-18-2001, 10:41 PM
I'm an Architecture student and have put a good amount of time into looking at some of the Mac CAD solutions.

Generally I really like VectorWorks, and it is a pretty good package for both Architecture and the type of design that you are talking about. It is pretty powerful, a fully object based design tool that does great 3D also (Rendering with out the RenderWorks package is a little weak, but is not that expensive). Easy to learn with any experience with other cad programs.

I have also used ArchiCAD, but that is definately Architecture based. Form¨ÔZ is a great solution more geared toward 3D with 2D included, but is super expensive.

DenebaCAD I have never used admittedly, If all else fails, and you are familiar with AutoCAD, they made a mac version up to ACAD 12 if you wanted to track and old copy down.

Let me know what you think of Deneba!

Good Luck

~~~Eric~~~